Into the Moonlight

I have never been part of a stranger group. Crookshanks led the way down the stairs; I came next, fearing about what might happen when we got outside, Remus, Pettigrew, and Ron were behind me, looking like entrants in a six-legged race. Next came Dad, drifting creepily along, his toes hitting each stair as they descended, held up by his wand, which was being pointed at him by Sirius. Harry and Hermione brought up the rear. Getting back into the tunnel was difficult. Remus, Pettigrew, and Ron had to turn sideways to manage it; Remus still had Pettigrew covered with his wand. Harry could see them edging awkwardly along the tunnel in single file. Crookshanks was still in the lead. Harry went right after Sirius, who was still making Snape drift along ahead of them; he kept bumping his lolling head on the low ceiling. I had the impression Sirius was making no effort to prevent this.

"You know what this means?" Sirius said abruptly to Harry as they made their slow progress along the tunnel. "Turning Pettigrew in?"

"You're free," said Harry.

"Yes..." said Sirius. "But I'm also- I don't know if anyone ever told you- I'm your godfather."

"Yeah, I knew that," said Harry.

"Well... your parents appointed me your guardian," said Sirius stiffly. "If anything happened to them... I'll understand, of course, if you want to stay with your aunt and uncle. But... well... think about it. Once my name's cleared... if you wanted a... a different home..."

"What- live with you?" Harry said. "Leave the Dursleys?"

"Of course, I thought you wouldn't want to," said Sirius quickly. "I understand, I just thought I'd-"

"Are you insane?" said Harry, his voice easily as horse as Sirius's. "Of course I want to leave the Dursleys! Have you got a house? When can I move in?"

"You want to?" Padfoot said. "You mean it?"

"Yeah, I mean it!" said Harry.

Crookshanks darted up first; he pressed his paw to the knot on the trunk because Remus, Pettigrew, Ron and I clambered upward without any sound of savaging branches. Sirius saw Dad up through the hole, then stood back for Harry and Hermione to pass.

At last, everyone was out. The grounds were very dark now; the only light came from the distant windows of the castle. Without a word, they set off. Pettigrew was still wheezing and occasionally whimpering.

"One wrong move, Peter," said Remus threateningly ahead.

His wand was still pointed sideways at Pettigrew's chest. Silently they tramped through the grounds, the castle lights growing slowly larger. Dad was still drifting weirdly ahead of Sirius, his chin bumping on his chest. And then- a cloud shifted. There were suddenly dim shadows on the ground. Their party was bathed in moonlight. Dad collided with Remus, Pettigrew, and Ron, who had stopped abruptly. Sirius froze. He flung out one arm to make Harry and Hermione stop. I glanced over at Remus. He had gone rigid. Then his limbs began to shake.

"Oh, my-" Hermione gasped. "He didn't take his potion tonight! He's not safe!"

"Run," Sirius whispered. "Run. Now."

But Harry didn't run. I followed his gaze. Ron was chained to Pettigrew and Remus. Harry leapt forward but Sirius caught him around the chest and threw him back.

"Leave it to me- RUN!"

"Let me help you," I said to Sirius. "Moony won't hurt me."

Sirius looked at me oddly but nodded his head. There was a terrible snarling noise. Remus's head was lengthening. So was his body. His shoulders were hunching. Hair was sprouting visibly on his face and hands, which were curling into clawed paws. Crookshanks's hair was on end again; he was backing away-