Werewolves

The school talked of nothing but Sirius Black for the next few days. He had apparently tried to get into Gryffindor Tower via the Fat Lady's portrait and was unsuccessful. The theories about how he had entered the castle became wilder and wilder; Hannah Abbott, from Hufflepuff, spent much of the next Herbology class telling anyone that would listen that Black could turn into a flowering shrub.

The Fat Lady's ripped canvas had been taken down off the wall and replaced with the portrait of Sir Cadogan and his fat grey pony. Nobody was happy about this. Sir Cadogan spent half his time challenging people to duels, and the rest thinking up ridiculously complicated passwords, which he changed at least twice a day.

"He's barking mad," said Seamus Finnigan angrily to Percy. "Can't we get anyone else?"

"None of the other pictures wanted the job," siad Percy. "Frightened of what happened to the Fat Lady. Sir Cadogen was the only one brave enough to volunteer."

Ever since I had shown Dad, Remus and Professor McGonagall the memory, they have been making sure that I was feeling okay after every class they had with me but other than that they weren't treating me any different. On the other hand, the jacket that I had grabbed from my dad's coat hook was definitely not his. I was pretty sure that it was the same one that I had lost in the first few weeks of school.

The day before the first Quidditch match of the season also happened to be the day after a full moon. The full moon last night had a weird amount of pull toward my wolf, but I had managed to shrug it off and stay in my dorm the entire night. I still had to walk with a leg brace which made stairs basically impossible. Fred and George were still helping me get up and down the larger staircases when they could but I was still late for a lot of my classes because of it. For some reason, Dad was subbing for Moony in Defense Against the Dark Arts. Dad was looking for some sort of class plan when Harry and I walked in 10 minutes late.

"Sorry I'm late Professor Lupin, I-" he said.

"This lesson began ten minutes ago, Potter, so I think we'll make it ten points from Gryffindor. Sit down," Dad said, in a menacing voice.

Harry didn't move.

"Where's Professor Lupin?" he said.

"He says he is feeling too ill to teach today," said Sev with a twisted smile. "I believe I told you to sit down."

"What's wrong with him?" Harry asked, staying where he was.

"Nothing life-threatening," Dad said, looking as though he wished it was. "Five more points from Gryffindor, and if I have to ask you again it will be fifty."

Harry walked slowly to his seat and sat down. Sev looked around the class, without acknowledging that I was late. The rest of the class seemed confused about that, but they didn't have Potions with me regularly, so they didn't know how he generally was around me.

"As I was saying before Potter interrupted, Professor Lupin has not left any record of the topics you have covered so far-"

"Please, sir, we've done Boggarts, Red Caps, Kappas and Grindylows," said Hermione quickly, "and we're just about to start-"

"Be quiet," said Snape coldly. "I did not ask for information. I was merely commenting on Professor Lupin's lack of organization."

"He's the best Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher we've ever had," said Dean Thomas boldly, and there was a murmur of agreement from the rest of the class. Sev looked more menacing than ever.