Chapter 7 - Manager

Asahi chuckled, "yeah, sure y/n."

Y/N POV:

Asahi slid open the door to the gym and the first thing I heard was Noya and Tanaka's footsteps rapidly making their way towards me. I accepted my fate and opened up my arms, ready for the embrace of the two energetic boys. 

This time however, Daichi didn't stop them. They ran straight into me, knocking me onto the floor, all the while they were bombarding me with questions about where I was.

"Y/n-channn did you forget about us?"

"Why were you in the music building?"

"Oh! I know why Ryu! Asahi and y/n were totally making out!" Noya called out to him. They both made eye contact and immediately jumped up off the ground and turned their backs toward Asahi and I.

They proceeded to wrap their arms around themselves and fake makeout, rubbing their hands all over their backs, and quite honestly, really going at it.

I hoisted myself off the ground while the entire team stared at both Asahi and I.

What I didn't notice, however, was Asahi standing behind me with a beet-red face covered by his hands.

I grabbed Noya and Tanaka by their shoulders and turned them around, "Well sorry to disappoint you guys but I was actually just... studying there. It's really quite nice in there." I turned around to Asahi, who's face had cooled down by this point, communicating with my eyes, telling him to back me up.

"U-uh yeah, what y/n said."

'Hmm great cover Asahi, real believable'

"B-but I got lost on the way there, so that's why it took so long." he concluded, shrugging his shoulders.

The rest of the team looked around at each other and shrugged as well. They knew in their hearts that they would be lost as well if they tried to look for the music building.

"Well," Daichi began, clapping his hands to draw the team's attention, "Let's get back to practice shall we. Kiyoko, you show y/n the manager tasks and we'll get on with some receiving drills."

The team yelled, "YOSH" in unison and began to get in place for their drills.

I was observing all of this as Kiyoko came over to me with a clipboard. She explained what I was to do, which was to watch as each individual player practiced their receives. I would write a tally mark for every ball they received correctly, and for everyone that they dropped, as well as who was spiking the balls, to get a feel for the amount of power that they could properly receive.

I watched as Daichi received a few balls from Hinata, Tanaka from Daichi, and Tobio from Asahi. I had obviously watched a few games of Tobio's in middle school, and I had the general idea of the game down, but seeing everything up close and personal was a completely different feeling.

Karasuno was good, and I mean really good. The precision of their players was quite high, besides a few mistakes, mostly made by the first years. But what I really loved watching was their interactions with each other

I silently observed Tobio and Hinata's quarrels, wondering if I should tell our mom how mean he was to the ball of sunshine. I watched basically all of Tanaka and Noya's interactions, each being funnier and more silly than the last. The constant teasing from Tsukishima was also a highlight, especially when he picked on my brother. But I did get genuinely scared when he called him "the king", because I know what goes down when you call him that.

Let's just say I ended up with a giant bruise on my arm for a week after I called him that once in an argument.

The third years acted as the parents of the group, and it always made me laugh. I've only known Tanaka and Noya for a few days and already know they can't be restrained, so I laughed watching Daichi and Suga make those attempts.

A few times while watching the team, I would catch Asahi's eyes, and give him a thumbs up and a smile. To which he would immediately turn his head around to face the net once again. I can't blame him, I wouldn't want to get caught slacking by Daichi either.

Asahi was about the same in practice as he was in the classroom; focused, quiet, and reserved. Though he did come out of his shell a lot more with these boys. It made me happy to see him so talkative with everyone. I was happy to see that he was just about as talkative with me. 'I'm glad he's friends with me'.

I snapped out of my thoughts when Kiyoko called over to me. I sprung up from the bench with my filled out notes and walked over to her.

"Could you help me fill up these water bottles? Practice is almost over," Kiyoko asked, unscrewing a cap on a water bottle and leaning over the faucet.

I looked outside, noticing now that the sun was setting. Time flies.

"Oh for sure!" I replied, doing the same.

"Are you having fun?" Kiyoko asked as we worked, "I would really love having another manager to work with me, especially my best friend." I turned towards her and gave her the biggest hug in the world.

"I would love to! Just watching everybody work so hard together and watching all their little interactions made me feel at home. Plus, I already feel like I'm friends with everybody on the team!" I responded, my head resting on her shoulder as she rubbed my back.

'I really have the best friends in the world' I thought to myself.

She pulled away from the hug and held my shoulders, "Well, welcome to the team, manager!" She smiled at me and I smiled back so hard I thought my face would fall off.

Practice ended and I began to hand out the water bottles to everyone as Kiyoko told Daichi that I had said yes to becoming the second manager of the team. I looked over at the two of them talking before I heard a familiar voice.

"Could I have a water bottle please?" I looked up to see Asahi with a towel around his neck and his hair slightly falling out of his bun sheepishly looking down at me.

"O-oh yeah sorry, I got distracted for a second!" I replied with another bright smile and handed him his water. I turned around to face Daichi again and he gave me a thumbs up before yelling to the team to gather around him.

"As you know, y/n was here for a trial day as a manager. Well she seems to have made a decision..." he trailed off and looked to me for my answer.

The team waited in anticipation, but a certain Ace had far more excitement waiting for her answer.

'I hope she says yes.' Asahi thought to himself.

"Say hello to your new manager!" I said, throwing my arms up in the air and waiting inevitably for two certain boys to tackle me once again.

To my surprise, the whole team, minus Tsukishima, tackled me in a giant hug. I don't think I could've been happier at that moment. 'I finally have a good group of friends.' I thought to myself as Suga pulled me out of the circle to give me a proper hug and patted my head.

"Welcome to the team y/n!" Suga said as he threw a team jacket my way.

I clutched it to my heart. 'This is going to be a good year, I can tell.'

"Welcome to the team!" Everyone yelled.

As Asahi yelled out those words, he couldn't help but feel the bubbling excitement in his heart. There was just something about y/n that excited him. He couldn't wait to get closer to her. He looked over at her and saw the largest, purest smile plastered to her face.

That's when he figured out the first reason he admired y/n so much.

She was always smiling.

A/N:

OMG HEY HEY HEY! Thank you guys SO much for 85 reads and all of the votes! It really really means so much to me! And thank you @CleverDana16 for shouting out my story! Well, I'm going to work really hard to update as frequently as possible for you guys! As always, make sure to vote and comment (I love reading them so so so much) and leave any suggestions if you have any! Have a wonderful day!