Chapter 15 - Surprise

Asahi pointed out the window at Nekoma High, where our training camp for the next two days would take place.

Y/N POV:

Coming into the training camp, I really did not know what to expect. Asahi's explanation made sense, but really, this was a lot more than I was expecting.

"That's game! Nekoma wins 25-17!" Kiyoko announced from the sidelines where she and I were keeping track of the score, flipping the score board and watching our team be continuously defeated.

"That's their fourth game of the day, how are they not tired?" I commented, staring wide-eyed at Hinata who kept pleading to Coach Ukai, asking him to play one more game. He had done this for the past two games.

My words did not hold their truth for much longer, because as soon Coach Ukai announced that there would be no more games for the day, the entire team collapsed onto the floor.

Well, except Hinata and Tobio of course, those two had stamina for days. Unfortunately, I was not blessed with those genes.

"That's our que." I laughed at Kiyoko's comment as we rushed over to our players with water bottles in hand, quickly dispersing them as they laid on the court trying to catch their breath.

As I made my way to Asahi with his water bottle in hand, I caught his eyes. He perked up when he saw me, a tired smile spreading across his face as his hair slowly fell out of his bun, some strands falling in front of his eyes.

"Good job today!" He smiled at my comment, reaching out to grab the water bottle I had outstretched in my hands.

"Thanks y/n." He sighed out a long slow breath, "Whew, your brother really works us wing-spikers hard."

I inhaled sharply at his words, immediately being reminded of Tobio's middle school games. They were always hard to watch, seeing him act that way. I knew it was just because he wanted everyone to work their hardest and do their best, but I was aware of how it came off to others.

I exhaled a breath that I didn't even realize I was holding, "Yeah, sorry about that," I chuckled, looking up at the Ace who dragged his forearm across his face, attempting to rid himself of the sweat that had built up over four games.

I admired him for a moment, subconsciously smiling as I got an up close look at him.

"Y/n! We have to start dinner!" My head turned towards Kiyoko's voice, who was standing a few feet away from me. successfully dodging attempts at a hug from Noya, Tanaka, and a Nekoma player with a mohawk who reminded me a lot of Tanaka.

He actually cried when he saw Kiyoko and I step off the bus, but stopped when he saw Asahi step in front of me, shielding me from his view.

I had to admit, even though I didn't see it, it came in handy that Asahi was deemed as intimidating to others sometimes.

I turned to leave with Kiyoko and Takeda-sensei who were now waiting by the door, but was stopped in place when I felt Asahi's hand grab my wrist.

"Y/n, after dinner, meet me outside of the boy's room, I want to show you something." my eyes shot open and my eyebrows immediately furrowed in confusion. My heart rate picked up at his cryptic words.

'Huh? What? Show me something? Meet outside the boy's room? He doesn't mean anything bad right?'

Asahi must have sensed the unease coming from my expression, and he quickly revised his statement with urgency, his mouth flying open at the realization of his words. He let go of my wrist and frantically waved his hands in front of his face, signifying his revision.