Chapter 23 - Thunder and Lightning

"Oh, you should feel how fast my heart is beating right now."

Y/N POV:

"This is stupid." I huffed from the end of the line to run. We stood just in front of a path that led up the mountain next to Karasuno- the same one that I was scolded into running up with the rest of the team, while Kiyoko watched from next to Coach Ukai at the starting line.

God,  just looking at it made me feel exhausted.

I furrowed my eyebrows, scrunching my eyes closed at the long road ahead of me.

"Why do I have to do this again?" I asked, stepping forward as the first 'GO' from Coach Ukai sounded off.

I watched as Tsukishima and Yamaguchi leisurely ran up the hill before a smirking Daichi turned around, catching my attention.

"This is what you get for pranking me the other day. You embarrass me, I make you run." Daichi replied, one eyebrow raised in, what I would call, a mix of disappointment and a look that screamed 'don't do it again'.

I rolled my eyes playfully, a smile now spreading across my face, "C'mon it wasn't THAT bad, you're overreacting." I crossed my arms, looking up to Asahi who was standing quietly next to me, trying not to be pulled into this conversation for his own good.

He was smart to do so. I tried my hardest to get him to partake in the prank, but he refused. Probably because he knew how scary Daichi could be when he was mad.

"You made Tanaka and Noya hide my pants! I ran around the club room practically naked for half an hour! What do you mean it wasn't that bad?" Daichi yelled, throwing his arms up in the air in frustration.

Although Daichi was scary when he was mad, there was something so insanely funny to me for him to be this upset at a simple prank. I tried my hardest to fight back a smile and laughter at his utter annoyance.

"Are you laughing right now?"

"Daichi..." Asahi started, still trying his best not to interfere, but attempting to calm down his friend.

"Okay okay! I'm sorry...I'll run. Even though I probably won't even make it halfway." I huffed, turning my attention once more to the dwindling line in front of me, watching Tanaka and Noya take off towards the hill with a running start.

"I have no idea how you guys do this much physical activity everyday. There's a reason I'm a musician," I remarked to Asahi, who had managed somehow to distract the fuming Daichi, and was now stretching next to me in line.

"Well, I kinda like it. It's fun to go on runs every once in a while," he explained, "Something about being able to feel the burn makes me feel really good, you know? Oh, and going on morning runs, when it's still a bit chilly and the air smells really fresh..."

It sounds lame, but I loved when he talked. When he let go of any worry that he might have about being judged and just...talked.

I swear I could sit and listen to him talk about his interests or the things that he loved for hours on end, just watching his gentle face light up as the topic changed from one to the next.

It seemed like I was one of the only people that he felt comfortable enough to do that with, which made me feel so special.

I could feel that I was smiling like an idiot just now, listening to him go on about how he enjoys running, but I was immediately pulled out of my thoughts when I heard another 'GO' sound off.

I suddenly felt Asahi's hand on the small of my back as he gently guided me forward to the front of the line, where we stood ready to take off. He must've known I was lost in thought again.