23. PICTURESQUE PICNIC

𝑨𝑺𝑻𝑹𝑶𝑷𝑯𝑰𝑳𝑰𝑨

𝑨𝑺𝑻𝑹𝑶𝑷𝑯𝑰𝑳𝑰𝑨

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Eva's day had begun with an awfully rough start. A first year had spilled their muggle soda all over her just finished potions essay (who knows why they even had a soda at such an early hour in the morning), a Slytherin had tripped her in the hallway causing her books to scatter across the floor and nearly be late to transfiguration, and worst of all: James had seemed to wake up on the wrong side of the bed as well which meant no good for anyone. 

"Lighten up," Adan chuckled, lightly nudging Eva's shoulder as she slid into the seat next to him. Eva sent him back a much rougher 'nudge', but he was able to center himself before he fell off of his chair. He slightly held up his hands in surrender with a wide grin on his face. "Fine, fine, I won't mess with you."

Oh, and it did not help that in transfiguration they were learning one of the most complicated spells in their 5th year.

"So," Professor McGonagall claps, gaining the attention of the class, "today we are starting Vanishing Spells. These are easier than Conjuring Spells, which you do not usually attempt until N.E.W.T. level, but they are still among the most difficult magic you will be tested on in your O.W.L.

"Throughout this set of lessons, we will be practicing the spell on animals. It becomes more difficult with the complexity of the animal to be vanished; for instance, a snail, as an invertebrate, is rather simple, whereas a, as a mammal, presents a great challenge.

"The Vanished objects go into non-being, which was to say, everything," she states. Eva presses the pads of her fingers to her temples, not quite understanding the words coming out of her professors mouth. 

"Has anyone heard of this spell before?" she asks the class, earning a few raised hands.

Professor McGonagall points to one of the Ravenclaws. 

"I believe I have heard it in both the tale 'The Wizard and the Hopping Pot' and 'Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump'"

"That is correct," she nods, "In 'The Wizard and the Hopping Pot' from The Tales of Beedle the Bard, the son of the original owner of the pot tries to vanish the pot, but the spell had no effect. Also in the story Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump in the same book, the witch Babbitty Rabbity successfully vanishes a hat."

"For fucks sake," Eva mumbles under her breath. Boring, boring, boring, repeats over and over in her head like an annoying song on loop. 

The class seems to go on for hours as she teaches them how to cast the spell (Evanesco!) before she tells them to practice the spell overnight for a fresh start the next day.

"I'm sorry to say it Eva, but you are a hot mess," Adan laughs almost in disbelief. She mumbles a few curses at him, maybe for his teasing words or maybe to scold him for pointing out an obvious fact.

"Slept on the wrong side of the bed?" he asks. 

"Something like that," she grumbles. "Potions homework got ruined, Slytherins decided to mess with me, and James is walking around with his chin in the air and an imaginary stick up his ass."

Adan winces at her harsh words, but takes his chances to lay an arm across her shoulder. 

"Well, luckily for you, we are all meeting down by the Black Lake for a picnic lunch," he informs her. "We can head over there right now, I believe Lily and Marlene are already down there. Kaelyn should arrive soon as well."

...

Eva was more than excited when she laid her eyes on the picnic blanket. It was lying right at the trunk of a big tree, sunlight peaking through its thick leaves. Lily and Marlene were giggling about something while Kaelyn was putting jam onto a biscuit. 

She looked up at the distant sound of footsteps and waved excitedly at the sight of her best friends. 

Eva had let her body fall into the soft grass as soon as she reached the picnic area.

"Rough day?" Kaelyn asked softly, her fingers finding their way to the ends of Eva's hair.

"Rough day," Eva hummed in response.

The picnic becomes an extended moment to enjoy the playful light and soft grass and to let the eye appreciate the sunny beauty of Hogwarts' landscape. The breeze plays with her long hair, tying it in delicate knots. Eva lets herself rest with her head in Kaelyn's lap as she smiles at her friends' giggles. She smiles to their jokes and basks in the sun that kisses her cheeks. 

She relaxes until her stomach starts to call for the food that is spread out on the blanket. Baked cookies adorn the set out plates in random shapes, yet to Eva's eyes each one is a heart. She immediately reaches for one and hums as the sugary treat melts in her mouth. 

Much of her time with her friends was spent silent, but none of them pushed her to speak. She enjoyed their company while she would gaze at the beautiful landscape. The lakes reflective colors of blue and green along with the towering mountains and sky made the Hogwarts scenery look almost like a detailed watercolor painting. The green grasses lap at the blue waters, almost as if it is the grass that kisses up to the lake, not the other way around. 

Eva takes a deep breath of the crisp air. The only thing she can think about is how fortunate she is to have such incredible friends. 

...

a/n - im not too sure what this is, but it sure is something :D

anyway, i wanted to post as i haven't in a while!! as you probably can tell, this is a filler so i can move more onto the plot of the second part :]