12. DODGING DEATH

𝑨𝑺𝑻𝑹𝑶𝑷𝑯𝑰𝑳𝑰𝑨

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Eva blinked owlishly as she woke up in the morning. She took a moment to shed the sleep from her brain, allowing the visions of the night to give away to the day. She heaved her legs over the bedside and lazily dragged her legs to the bathroom. She stretched out her arms as she fixed her gaze on the mirror.

Her reflection looked exhausted. It wasn't so much mentally, but physically. Dark bags hung beneath her eyelids and the corners of her mouth dipped down ever so slightly. She took her finger and placed it at the edge of her mouth, pushing it up slightly. Her reflection smiled back at her and seemed to be content with its appearance.

It had been 2 weeks since her arrival, and she would, unfortunately, be returning that very day. She loved every moment with her two friends; swimming, having picnics, watching movies, or baking sweets. Eva quite dreaded the thought of returning home, despite missing both her parents and her beloved bedroom. She wasn't excited to see what trouble Sirius and James had gotten themself into, but she still had an hour or two with her friends.

"Good morning sunshine," Adan laughed, noticing her tired appearance.

"Not the time Adan," Eva groaned, plopping herself down at the table beside Aiden.

"Did you have a good time?" Kaelyn asked, sitting just across from her with Adan.

"It was amazing, truly. Thank you so much for inviting me," Eva gushed out. Kaelyn smiled at the girl, happy with her response.

"Do you want me to apparate you home, or will you take the floo?" Aiden asked her.

"Oh, I'm alright. You can take Adan home, I'll take the floo network."

"Thanks, Ev's," Adan said.

"Anytime," she responded nonchalantly.

"What's got you in such a funk?" Kaelyn asked, the slightest bit concerned about her friend.

"Oh, I don't know," she sighed sarcastically. "Maybe the fact that I have to go home to James and Sirius."

Kaelyn winced in sympathy. "You'll be alright. If they get too much, you can stay over again. Either way, school is only just around the corner."

"Thank you, I appreciate it, but my door has a lock and I will use it," she joked.

Kaelyn went to whisper something in Adan's ear, making him blush a deep shade of pink. Eva glanced over to Aiden who raised his eyebrow. She simply shrugged and turned back to her breakfast.

"You all don't need to hide it, you both like each other, it's obvious," Aiden blurted out.

"I second that," Eva mumbled, her mouth still half full with food. Kaelyn had yet to tell Aiden about them dating, forgetting the fact that it had been multiple years. I simply mess around and look oblivious to mess with her.