16. NEBULOUS NIGHTMARE

𝑨𝑺𝑻𝑹𝑶𝑷𝑯𝑰𝑳𝑰𝑨

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Eva stood motionless in a graveyard. She recognized it almost instantly; it was the graveyard her aunt Adelaide had been buried in almost 10 years ago.

They had buried her in Godric's Hollow, in a tomb of white marble that shone in the night's darkness. On the day of her burial, the headstone had been embellished with peachy pink roses in contrast to the grey of the yard. But now, as Eva stared behind foggy eyes, the flowers were black and rotted.

Finally circling, she saw the graveyard was empty. Dead empty. It wasn't just that no living creature or being was in the area, but it appeared as if the cemetery had not been visited in a very, very, long time.

Death wasn't kind. Eva knew that and had known it for a very long time. It nabbed where it could, taking people who were far too youthful, far too good. It didn't pretend to care, it didn't pretend to distinguish.

The hooded vale of death had hung over the world for a long time, always threatening. It had never touched Eva herself, but it found every way conceivable to har her. Death had ripped away a part of her, the part of her that she loved.

It had taken her aunt Adelaide on November 27th, 1967.

It had taken the woman who taught her almost everything she knew. How to fly, how to bake, how to prepare a proper cup of tea, her first spells, how to braid hair... Eva admired the woman's independence and strength and strived every day to be like her.

She turned back to the headstone of her deceased aunt. It was black, the color of obsidian. The roses had vanished.

A hand grabbed her harshly by the arm. Eva whipped around.

She met the gaze of the ever so familiar woman she loved and missed every single day. Her usually warm hazel gaze wasn't there. Her eyes were icy and cold, nothing Eva had ever seen on her before.

As much as she tried to hold it in, the pain came out like an uproar from her throat in the form of a silent scream. The beads of water started falling one after another, without a sign of stopping.

Her aunt broke out into a devilish and diabolic grin. Her teeth were gleaming a pearly white and seemed to have an extra sharpness to them.

Eva let out another blood-curling scream.

"Didn't you miss me, dearie?"

An ominous crack shook Eva out of her abysmal nightmare. Her cheeks were stone dry but her body was washed in a frigid sweat. The sheets of her bed were twisted around her limbs, most likely because she was thrashing in her sleep. Her heart throbbed against her chest. Eva trembled. The room was entirely dark. No light anywhere. The remnants of her nightmare still clung to her mind, haunting her. Even her breaths trembled. She swallowed and once again turned to see the endless darkness of her room. She couldn't see anything.