Ch23: Rude Awakening

Artorias awoke abruptly the next morning to the sound of loud mechanical hums. Weiss was awakened by this as well, and soon jumped out of bed in panic. Artorias figured she knew more about the sounds than he did, and decided to try his luck with the otherwise snobbish girl. "Is everything alright?" He asked. She seemed to be moving very quickly as she got herself ready. "My sister is here today!" She spoke quickly and loudly. The others soon awoke from this. "You have a sister??" Ruby asked excitedly. "Can we meet her??" She jumped up happily. Weiss narrowed her eyes at her upon hearing the question. "Yea. But," she started, facing them all. "You must all be on your absolute best behavior. Understand?" She pointed at them all. She turned towards Artorias suddenly. "As for you. It's best you don't meet her." He started to question why, before shrugging and nodding to her request. "Very well, I shall remain here." He agreed. Blake tilted her head, turning her gaze to Weiss. "Why can't he? He's out teammate too." She pointed out. Weiss scoffed at the remarks as she fixed her hair. "My sister is of the highest class. Do you have any idea how insulted she would feel if some knight in dirty armor approached her?" She started, turning towards them. "Not to mention he's constantly leaking that...goo from his arm." She continued. The large man lowered his head slightly as she continued. "He can't help that, Weiss. Don't you think you're being harsh?" Yang chimed in, defending him.

While the girls argued, Artorias peaked out the window. There was a large ship landing, soon opening up. "It..looks like a large metal bird.." Artorias mumbled to himself. A girl who looked like Weiss, only dressed a bit more professional, emerged from the base of it. "This must be her" he thought to himself. He turned, trying to get the girls' attention. "Would that be her down there?" He asked curiously. Weiss quickly made her way to the window, her eyes widening. "Yes!" She spoke quickly, running out of the room. The others followed after her, with Ruby pausing and turning to Artorias. "You should come with us, I'm sure her sister won't mind." She smiled at him. He felt warm inside knowing she cared, and gave a sight shrug. "I'm not sure she would be very happy with me. She did request I stay behind." He pointed out. Ruby grabbed his good arm and rolled her eyes at his response. "She also requested that we wear heels to look more professional" she gave a laugh, tugging him. He gave a moment to think, before yielding to her. They soon met the others outside, making their way over. Weiss was talking to, as he had guessed, her sister. She seemed very classy, but also had a very cold gaze which she didn't hesitate to give the others. "This is your team? I expected you to be the leader of them, little sister" the woman spoke. "Winter, I wasn't chosen.." Weiss lowered her head slowly. Artorias didn't take a liking to the girls harshness, but kept his mouth closed. He knew it was not his place to step in on any kind of family arguments, so he stood and listened. Winters cold gaze soon turned to him, which was soon followed with a look of disgust. "Who is this filthy man, and why is he here?" She asked in an equally harsh tone. The remark angered him slightly. Who was she to call him, a loyal knight of Lord Gwyn, a filthy man? "I can see why she seemed slightly nervous to see her" he thought to himself. His thoughts were interrupted by another harsh response. "I asked you a question, now I demand an answer. Who are you?" She repeated. Artorias took a slow breath, composing himself before responding. "I am Knight Artorias. It is a pleasure to meet you." He greeted, giving a slight bow. Winter responded with a scoff, examining him. "Well, that makes one of us. Don't you ever think to clean that hunk of metal you call armor? It's disgusting, and looks like it will fall apart at any moment." She criticized. He clenched his fist slightly, taking another slow breath.

"This armor has seen its fair share of battles, ma'am. I mean no disrespect in greeting you this way, and I apologize for any disrespect I have caused." He answered. He tried his hardest not to show that he clearly felt insulted, sticking to his code of chivalry. But, he did admit to himself that this girl did make it rather difficult to do so. "Now then," Winter started, passing them all. "I want to take a look around your quarters." She demanded. Weiss' eyes widened as she raced ahead to catch up. "W-wait, i don't think that's a good idea!" She tried to plead. Her sister responded simply with another cold hearted gaze, which made her quiet down. "Well..uhh, I think I should tell you," Weiss started. "The bunk beds only look unsafe" she finished, giving a nervous laugh. Winter froze, turning quickly and facing her. "Bunk beds?" She asked in a very loud tone. Weiss could be seen flinching as her sister raised her voice. "Oh dear..." Blake commented under her breath. Artorias responded with a nod, as well as a sigh. Today was going to be something else indeed, and he knew it.