Ch25: Bending Chivalry

The two stood eyeing each other. The others soon gathered around them as if forming a mini arena. Winter gave a smirk and pointed her weapon. "After I defeat you, and if you show me proper respect, I may have mercy on you." She taunted. Artorias shook his head in response. "Respect is earned. Not forced" he replied simply. There was a silence between the two, as well as the others. Neither made a move for the longest time, waiting for the other to take the opportunity. Winter had finally given into the stillness, and struck first. Her attack was quick and precise, giving Artorias little room to react. So, he lifted his blade far enough to block her single strike, and just in time. Her speed far exceeded his, a fault he had grown use to in his travels with Ruby. But still, that didn't mean he had any means to back down. After all, what kind of knight flees his foe in a trial by combat he initiated? Winter waisted no time in rapidly repeating her attack over and over again. After a few moments of keeping her onslaught at bay, Artorias was able to put some space between himself and winter. He raised his large sword, bringing it down upon her. Or, so he thought. The nimble woman simply, but with quickness, sidestepped the mass of steel. The others watched the duel unfold before them. Weiss had many doubts about the outcome. Winter had a high position in the military, and had enough skill to back up her position.

   Ruby, on the other hand, had full faith that he could come out victorious. Although she would be lying to herself if she said she didn't worry for his safety. Her thoughts were scrambled as the large knight spun in a circle, swinging his weapon. Winter managed to jumped back to avoid the attack. 'She will simply avoid it' he thought to himself. He stood in silence for a mere moment or two, before rushing her. She gave an overconfident smirk as she watched the armored giant raise his weapon. As she did before, she maneuvered around his weapon. As she did, she noticed him stomp his foot down, and pivot off of it. As he had expected, she would dodge him. Only this time, he had prepared. He gave a grunt as his weapon made contact with Winters. She yelped as she was forcefully pushed back by the power of his swing. Her hands ached with pain, her blade vibrating rapidly from the impact. "I'll ask you politely. Apologies to your sister for your harsh words. Family shouldn't be so cruel to one another, especially sisters" he pleaded. Yet, just like before, his words seemed to go through her. Winters simple response was a very angry flurry of attacks.

   Yet again, Artorias was forced back onto the defensive. Her speed was far slower than that of Ruby, yet still exceeded his by far. Before he had a moment to think, a suddenly yet loud clank could be heard. Which was soon accompanied by a searing pain in his shoulder. Winters weapon had managed to maneuver around his just enough for its sharp tip to pierce his left shoulder. Although it was limp, he could very much feel the burning sensation as her weapon pierced his armor, and very soon after his flesh. As if reacting off of pure instinct, he delivered a very heavy head but into her. The moment he made contact, the woman let out a pained yell, and clasped her face with her hands. As soon as Artorias had his bearings, he immediately cursed himself for his action. Where he was from, dules had a few rules: fight until the other gives in. If you are disarmed and or bested, then surrender to the better man. Had he still been in Lordran, this battle wolf have been considered a loss for him. In his mind, he had broken his code and fought dishonorably. He might as well had thrown dirt in her eyes. Winter lowered her hands, revealing a bloody nose as a result of the attack. Which in response, earned a gasp from not only him, but his friends as well. "He got her!" Ruby cheered slightly. Of course, this earned a very dangerous glare from winter. "You..." she spat out slowly, her gaze finding Artorias again. "...how dare you!! Do you know what I'm capable of?!" She yelled angrily. The angry woman picked her weapon up off the ground and spun it, before pointing it at him. "I believe I'm about to find out.." Artorias mumbled to himself as he rested his sword on his shoulder, kneeling down again. "Either way. Regardless of who you are, I will not sit idoly by as one of my comrades is harassed" he called to winter. "Weiss works very hard, and deserves to be treated as more than a peasant." He lectured. He felt more like a scholar than a knight at that point. "Then again, it seems my words fall on def ears." Winger glared at him angrily, before lunging rapidly at him. Artorias lifted his sword just quick enough to block the strike again. He leaned against her after a moment, using his weight to push her back a few steps.

   He then shoved her with his sword, following with a swing. Winger blocked the strike which resulted in her arms ringing in pain as they did before. Artorias took notice of her distraction, and threw his own onslaught of attacks her way. Everyone cheered as Artorias began making winter go on the defensive. Weiss was silent with shock unlike the others. She had always thought there wasn't anyone capable of defeating her sister, yet before her very eyes this man is proving her wrong. Ruby patted her back, distracting her from her mind. "See? You just have to have faith" she smiled. "He's capable of more than you think, even if he is slower than her." Ruby gave a smile, turning her attention back to the battle. Winter and Artorias had locked blades again, winter screaming insults at him in an attempt to offset him. "You disrespectful hunk of rust! How dare you think you could strike me and go unpunished! I'll make sure to repay you every blow you've dealt me, do you underst-" she yelled, before being cut off. Artorias had yet again, slammed his head against hers with great force. Just as before, he cursed himself for what he considered to be a dirty move as the woman stumbled backwards, holding her face in pain.