Ch24: Meant to Be Broken

Everyone followed Winter inside for her to examine their room. Upon arrival, she instantly started criticizing everything inside. From the beds, to the trash laying around, even to the books on the bookcase. Needless to say, everyone, including Weiss, wanted her to leave. "Ugh, look at this place! It's an absolute mess" she growled. She looked over at the corner where Artorias slept, noticing the black stains on the ground from his arm. She made a face of disgust, pointing. "That must be where the rust bucket sleeps, am I correct?" She asked. Weiss stepped in quickly to change the subject. "Winter, I know you're upset but please understand-" she began explaining. Winter responded with a glare, making Weiss soon go quiet. She turned and left the room, with Weiss slowly following.

   Everyone left with them as well, except for Artorias. Ruby noticed right before she walked out, stopping. "We have to make her leave, Weiss looks heartbroken" she pointed. He breathed a slow sigh before turning to face her. "It's none of my business. My code doesn't allow me to get involved with others business, especially fam-" started to finish. Ruby suddenly responded with a loud stomp and a glare. "Who cares about your code??" She suddenly asked loudly. This made Artorias freeze, as he's never had anyone ask that before. "Our teammate is being mentally beaten down! Sometimes rules are meant to be broken for the better good!" She explained. She turned away from him, running to catch up with the others. Artorias stood, alone and in silence. He thought long and hard about her words, before making his final decision.

   As he emerged outside the building, everyone was gathered around Weiss, who was in tears. He tensed slightly before quickly jogging over. "It's about time you came out here" Blake looked at him. "What happened?" He asked quickly. Yang growled and looked over at Winter, who was approaching her ship. "Little miss prim and proper insulted her and told her she was a disgrace to her family for how she was here" she growled. This angered Artorias enough for him to make a quick, and rather rash decision. He pushed past the others who kept their eyes on him. "What does he think he's doing?" Blake asked. Ruby gasped and stepped forward. "Oh no no no...he's going to confront her.." she gulped. Weiss stood quickly and wiped her tears away. "Someone stop him!" She looked at the ground, although nobody wanted to in truth, not even Weiss.

   He quickly approached Winter just as she started to step aboard. "Excuse me" he called out to her. She stopped, turning and narrowing her eyes. "What do you want, tin can?" She asked coldly. He took a breath and looked her in her eyes. "I demand you apologize to my teammate for your harsh words to her" he spoke firmly. She irritation was very visible as she slowly approached him, getting in his face. "I don't take demands from anyone, especially not from falling apart hunk of metal" she growled. He met her gaze again, stepping closer as well. "I'll ask you again to apologize before I use force" he warned. Winter gave a laugh before stepping back and grabbing her weapon, pointing it at him. "Then by all means, force me! It seems you don't know who you're dealing with, so I shall be happy to show you" she glared. Everyone gasped and gathered around, whispering and pointing. Artorias slowly reached back, grabbing the handle of his weapon. "Very well...I accept your challenge" he spoke as he knelt down slightly.