Ch7: Abyss

Arteries sat in the headmaster's office, awaiting punishment. Mrs. Goodwitch had told him that he was called for fighting in the cafeteria. Even though he was standing up for someone, he didn't argue. "You're not going to argue?" Mrs. Goodwitch asked, seemingly surprised. He shook his head. "A true knight always accepts punishment for his wrong doings, and this is no different." Headmaster Ozpin walked in five minutes later, coffe in hand. Hevsat down, and greeted Artorias with a smile. "Hello there" he began, "do you know why I have called you in today?" He nodded. "I got into a fight with one of the kids in the cafeteria for bulllying a girl with rabbit ears." Ozpin nodded, sipping his coffe. "I appreciate the heroic act, but could you have not gone about it a better way?" Artorias lowered his head. "I...I suppose so. But, after examining them for a short while, one can deduce that they would not have done the same." Ozpin chuckled slightly. "You're a very observant one, aren't you?"

After fifteen minutes of chat, Ozpin released Artorias with a warning. He made his way down the hall, back to the cafeteria. When he arrived at his table, Ruby was the first to bombard him with questions and concerns. "Artorias, what happened? Are you okay? Are they going to kick you out?" She showed no signs of slowing down. "Im fine Ruby. I'm not getting kicked out. He just have me a warning is all. I'm fine, really." That seemed to ease her, for she smiled right after. After lunch, everyone began to roam around. The group of friends were walking around outside. "I'm just saying," Jaune began. "I think it would be cool if I modified my sword with fire dust or something." Everyone shook their heads. He lowered his head in defeat. This made Artorias chuckle. Suddenly, a pain surged through his body. His eyes widened, fearing for his friends. "Everyone, g-get...get away from me!.." he forced out. Ruby turned to him. She was about to speak, when memories of before flashed through her head. A cloud of black surrounded him, his voice sounding demonic. Suddenly, he released a roar that startled everyone. "Is that the abyss thing he was telling everyone about?!" Weiss asked, fear in her voice. Ruby nodded, taking her scyth out.

Artorias drew his sword, turning to them slowly. He then lept into the air, stabbing down at the group. Everyone evaded, horrified at the amount of power he contained. "We must find a way to bring him back'" Pyrah hollered. "Ruby, how did he regain control before?" she questioned. "He just...did it himself!" she replied. She turned back just in time to block a very heavy hit from Artorias, knocking her on her back. Just as he stood over her, Yang landed a punch in his stomach, although it seemed to have no effect. He spun in a circle, slashing twice, knocking both girls away. Everyone watched in horror, as he let out a demonic roar, then fall to his knees. He was finally back in controll, though wekened. He used his sword to pick himself up, looking around his terrified group of friends. "Did...d-did I harm anyone?..." he asked weakly. "No. Everyone is okay" Ruby replied. He nodded slowly. "Good..." was all he could say before passing out.

In the nurses office, Ruby sat next to Artorias's bed. He had been out for nearly three hours, and she had begun to worry. What if Ozpin found out? Would he try to kick him out? Or worse, have him arrested? So many questions flooded her thoughts. As she was thinking, Ozpin walked in through the doors. She quickly stood up. "Professor Ozpin, please don't kick him out! He didn't do it on purpose, I swear!" she pleaded. "Calm down, Mrs. Rose. I mearly came to check on him. I'm just as concerned for his well being as you are." He gave a smile, causing Ruby to do the same. "Now then, how is he doing?" he asked, looking down at the poor, corupted knight. "He's...he's been out for three hours. I'm really worried a out him, sir." she replied, sadly. She sad back down. "You know you can't stay here all day, do you Mrs. Rose?" he told her. She nodded slowly. "I know, but...I don't want to leave his side. Please sir, you do understand don't you?" He smiled, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Very well. You may remain here." She smiled, looking up at him. "Thank you so much, professor." she turned back to Artorias. "You'll be okay...I know you will," she began, smiling softly. "You have an unbendable will of steel, remember?" she then placed her hand on top of his.