Ch16: Calm

The was a loud clang in front of Ruby. The girl slowly opened her eyes slowly, peeking through her hands. Yang had blocked the massive blade with her gauntlets, giving a pained grunt. She was forced onto a knee from the power of the swing. "R-Ruby run!" she got out, struggling against the large knight. Artorias roared at her, swinging downward at her again. She gasped and rolled out of the way, the ground where she was before cracking from the weapon. She didn't take her weapon, for she didn't want to hurt him. 'He's still in there..' she told herself over and over. At least, thats what she believed.

   Artorias, meanwhile, was lashing out at everyone. Even his four friends, for now it mattered not to him. "We have to get him to take control!" Ruby called out to the others. Blake gave a look at the command. "But he said that-" she started. Ruby shook her head and gave a glare at the half finished remark. "I don't care! He's one of us, and we are not killing him!!" she yelled. Yang shot the ground with her weapon, propelling herself into the air. She did the same and fired herself downward at Artorias. When she made impact, she was able to knock the massive man down. The others joined in and piled themselves on top of him, hoping their combined weight could hold him. But, just as quickly as he fell, he rose to his feet and flung the four girls about. With another bloodcurling roar, Artorias faced his attention twords Ruby. He soon homed in on the girl with his sword raised. Ruby closed her eyes, holding her hands out. After a few seconds, it was silent. Nervously Ruby peeked through her hand to find Artorias's sword inches from her skull.

   Something had stopped him from striking her down. Shaking, Artorias started breathing slowly. Almost normal. The abyssal must slowly started fading away as well. The weakened knight collapsed to his knees with his sword as his crutch. No words were exchanged, only actions. Ruby was the first to act, nearly tackling him into a hug as tears ran down the releaved girls face. Slwoly, Artorias placed his arm around her. The others soon joined in on the sentimental moment. At that point, the mission didn't matter to either of them. Ruby was just glad to have her friend back. No, not her friend. Her knight in shining armor.