Ch14: No Cure

Sunlight shined upon the camp of the small group. Artorias awoke with a yawn, as well as a stretch. He looked to his side to find Ruby, still asleep. Her head was resting on his shoulder as she leaned against him, snoring softly. He could feel his cheeks heating up, as he debated on whether or not he should wake the sleeping girl. After a bit of thinking, he gently shook her. "Ruby, wake up." he softly spoke, the red hooded girl giving a small yawn. She rubbed her eyes softly, realizing how she was laying. In an instant, she was stood up, her face as red as her hood. "Ah I'm so sorry I didn't mean to fall asleep on you!" she spoke rather quickly. Slightly amused, Artorias gave a small laugh. "Its quite alright, really." he spoke.

   The group started packing up their camp so they could get on the move. Well, Artorias didn't have anything to pack, so he helped the four girls out. "This is going to be exciting!" Ruby cheered. "I wouldn't exactly say exciting.." Artorias mumbled. He was still in fear of what would happen. "Who knows?" she asked. "We may even find a cure for you!" she smiled brightly. Artorias could feel his blackened heart sink upon hearing her words. How could he tell her, and the others that it wasn't possible? With a shaky breath, He looked away. "I don't think we will..." he slowly got out. The four girls faced him, slightly confused. "How can you be so sure?" Blake raised a brow. The wolf knight shook his head, unable to give a response. "We'll never know.." Ruby started again. "We can ho-" she started, a smile on her face. "We can't..." Artorias's sad words suddenly interrupted her. They all turned twords him. "What..what do you mean we can't?" Yang questioned. The corrupted knight lowered his head slowly. "There is no cure..there is no way to get it out. It's perminant, and am stuck with it.." he slowly and sadly spoke. The girls all froze in place, when suddenly Weiss broke the silence. "What...do we do if it takes you? Perminantly?" she asked, a gulp following.

   Artorias raised his head slowly, facing his friends. "If that day comes, you put a sword in me.." he answered after a bit. Ruby's eyes widened at his answer. "No!" she suddenly raised her voice. "Nobody is putting a sword in anyone, and nobody is getting corrupted!" she yelled. Tears rolled down the poor girls face as she spoke. Ruby was in denial of the situation, not wanting to believe that there was absolutely no way to help the knight. 'I'll find a cure, even if it I have to sell my soul..' she though to herself.