Chapter 2- Privet Drive (Ava)

Chapter 2 (Ava)

I had only ever been to Privet Drive once, and it had been a very brief visit with Dumbledore to meet Harry for the first time.

It didn’t look very different when it was dark- a normal, muggle street full of houses. Harry would have been well concealed in a street that was this average.

As we turned to land in the garden of number four, our Disillusionment Charms wore off, and we could all see each other again.

Fred jumped off of the Thestral and reached a hand out to help me off as well. The moment my feet touched the grass, I realised how much nicer it felt to be on the ground rather than fifty metres in the air.

The back door to the house opened and Harry tumbled out into the garden.

“Harry!” I shouted, sprinting over to him and throwing my arms around his neck.

He laughed, “Ava, I didn’t expect you to come!”

“Well,” I pulled away, “It was fairly last minute- and it took lots of begging for Remus to let me.”

Hermione hugged him tightly too whilst Ron patted him on the back in greeting.

Hagrid called out, “All righ’, Harry? Ready fer the off?”

Harry nodded at everyone, “Definitely! I just wasn’t expecting this many of you!”

Mad-Eye stepped forwards, “Change of plan. Let’s get undercover before we talk you through it.”

Harry led us all into the kitchen, and we followed quickly, chattering amongst ourselves.

“So,” I asked, “How was the departure of the Dursleys? Did they leave without much complaint?”

“Dudley was strange… He shook my hand. He’s never done that.” Harry shook his head, confusion settling on his face.

I laughed, “Perhaps he finally felt guilty for all of the years of torture he gave you. Anyway, that was quite admirable, I suppose. Maybe he liked you all along?”

“I wouldn’t say all along…” He shrugged, and in the dim light of the kitchen I could suddenly see how much Harry had grown up. I had only met him two years before, but he had changed so much since then. In those two years he had lost Sirius and Dumbledore, and it had certainly had an effect on him.

He looked braver now- more determined. Maybe I hadn’t realised it over the past year, but my brother had become an adult.

I felt Fred’s arm brush against mine and I smiled as he and George appeared beside me.

I pushed myself up to sit on top of the work surface in the kitchen, and the twins followed suit.