Chapter 34 - The Final Battle (Ava)

A/N-

Enjoy :)

Chapter 34 (Ava)

There seemed to be a sense of restlessness in the Entrance Hall. Many people were filled with a buzzing energy, ready to continue fighting the battle, but were obediently waiting. Despite this, there was also a sense of dread. Many had needed to say goodbye to friends and family that had been lost in the battle, and some people feared going on. Sitting at the edge of the hall with my head on Fred's shoulder, I hoped that it was all a terrible nightmare. Perhaps I was still in Malfoy Manor- still being tortured by Bellatrix and the others. But when Fred squeezed my hand every so often, he reminded me where I was, and that this was in fact very real.

Suddenly, there was a cry from by the door of the Entrance Hall- P

Professor McGonagall.

"NO!"

Her scream startled me, and sent a chill through my veins as I jerked upwards into a standing position, Fred scrambling up behind me. People were rushing towards the doors of the Entrance Hall, and I could hear people beginning to scream- Ron, Hermione and Ginny. Fred suddenly seemed to realise what was going on, and he reached blindly for my hand to stop me pushing to the front.

"Ava- Ava, stop-"

He was too late, though, as I pushed to the front of the crowd and stumbled slightly into the empty space between where we were standing and where the Death Eaters were stood, Voldemort at the helm and Hagrid at his side, carrying a body.

My brother's body.

I fell to my knees wordlessly, as the reality of Harry's death hit me all at once. I'd been so numb for the last few hours, but now suddenly the pain ripped me in half, and I began to sob- loud and uncontrolled. I could hardly breathe, and around me the screams and shouts were becoming louder and louder. Fred had caught up with me, and he had crouched down behind me, his hands resting on my shoulders.

"SILENCE!" Voldemort yelled suddenly, and he thrust his wand out, casting us all into silence.

"It is over! Set him down, Hagrid, at my feet, where he belongs!"

Reluctantly, Hagrid laid Harry's body down as gently as he could upon the ground. I choked silently.

"You see?" Voldemort gestured to Harry's body, "Harry Potter is dead! Do you understand now, deluded ones? He was nothing, ever, but a boy who relied on others to sacrifice themselves for him!"

"He beat you!" Ron yelled, and other students began to scream and shout again. My voice was hoarse, but the shouting didn't last for long.

"He was killed while trying to sneak out of the castle grounds," Voldemort sneered, and I was already on my feet, "Killed while trying to save himself-"

I rushed forwards at the same time that Neville did in anger, but Neville fell to the floor, his wand flying out of his hand. Voldemort froze me mid-charge, and I couldn't even lift a finger.

"Watch your behaviour, Miss. Potter, or you will be next," Voldemort sneered at me, before turning a pitying look on Neville, "And who is this? Who has volunteered to demonstrate what happens to those who continue to fight when the battle is lost?"

Bellatrix let out a bone-chilling laugh, "It is Neville Longbottom, my Lord! The boy who has been giving the Carrows so much trouble! The son of the Aurors, remember?"

"Ah yes, I remember," Voldemort smiled unpleasantly, "But you are a pure-blood, aren't you, my brave boy?"

"So what if I am?" Neville responded defiantly, and if I could have smiled I would.