Chapter 14- The Alley (Fred)

Chapter 14 (Fred)

I walked into the kitchen, slamming the door behind me and wincing as the wound on my arm opened up.

"Fred!"

Mum rushed over with a worried expression. She hated any of us going on missions for the Order, and if we came back with any cuts or bruises, she was immediately there to heal them.

"I'm fine, Mum." I dismissed quickly, glancing up at Remus and Kingsley, who were both sitting at the table.

"The mission wasn't successful." I muttered, "The bloody Death Eaters outnumbered us again. We all had to Apparate away to different locations."

Remus sighed, burying his face in his hands, "This is the second unsuccessful mission this week. Any casualties?"

I shook my head, "Nothing much. A few cuts and bruises on everyone, but we knew when to retreat."

George walked in, the expression on his face relaxing when he realised that I was safe.

"No success?" He guessed. I shook my head, sitting down at the table with a sigh.

I couldn't focus on the failure of my missions when we still didn't know where Ava was. Remus had tried to stop me from going on missions- he knew how distracted I was- but I had refused.

"How are we ever going to get any information on Ava's whereabouts if we keep failing these missions?" I whispered. My heart ached- I didn't want any harm to come to Ava. I just longed to know that she was okay.

"Freddie," George muttered, sitting down beside me, "She's okay. She's a fighter, just like I told you. Whatever they're doing to her, she won't just take it."

I nodded at my brother, managing a small smile even though I knew I couldn't fool him.

"Fred, I'm not sure if we should allow you to continue going on these missions. You're going to end up doing something dangerous," Remus shook his head, "Ava wouldn't want you risking your life for her."

"How will I ever see her again if I don't do just that? Remus, I can't just sit here and do nothing. I-" I stopped myself, shaking my head as I stood up and kicked my chair back.

"I'm going out," I muttered.

Remus shook his head, "Where on earth are you going?"

"I left something I need at the shop." I opened the door, but Remus grabbed onto my arm.

"Don't go, Fred. You're not in the right place at the moment- I can tell you're not thinking straight. What if you bump into some Death Eaters?"

I stopped, lowering my head. My shoulders slumped, and Remus sighed.

"Fred. I know how you feel about her. She means the world to you. I understand that. But you can't allow yourself to make stupid decisions like this."

I knew that Remus was right. If Ava were there, she'd be stubborn as always, and would refuse to let me leave the house.

But she wasn't there.

"I'm sorry, Remus." I whispered, "But I can't just sit around. I need to keep my brain active so I don't have to think about her." My voice cracked, and I felt Remus' hand fall away from my shoulder. He knew that he'd lost.

"Be careful out there." He muttered simply.

I heard a chair scrape across the floor, and George walked up to me slowly.

"Fred, I can come with you-" He started to say, but I shook my head.

"I just want some time alone, Georgie."