Chapter 22- Return (Ava)

A/N-

I realised as I was editing this chapter that it's actually longer than what I've written for my English coursework over the summer... Perhaps I've messed up my priorities! Oh well. I hope you enjoy!

I also hope that anyone who picked up results today did well!

Chapter 22 (Ava)

The sun's rays passed into my room through the thin curtains, giving Fred's face a golden glow. When he slept, his face showed no signs of worry- no lines broke into his freckled face. He was a vision of beauty. I wanted to keep him in that moment forever, but I knew that I had to wake him up.

I was going to Hogwarts.

The thought made me feel oddly sick- from excitement or nerves I couldn't tell. I knew how much it would benefit me to finally help the cause, yet I was still terrified to see what Hogwarts had become. Was it even recognisable any more? Which students would still be there?

Shaking my questions away, I reached my hand out and gently shook Fred's shoulders, murmuring his name softly. He began to stir, and a smile formed on his face as he stretched out his limbs like a cat in the sun. But after a moment, he seemed to register the day, and his smile slipped away. He sat up and looked at me silently. I stared back at him, unsure of what to say. Finally, he broke the silence.

"When are you leaving?"

"In an hour," I whispered, "Too soon."

He reached forwards and pulled me towards his chest, kissing the top of my head softly, "You're doing a good thing, Ava. We'll see each other again soon. When it all ends."

I nodded slowly, holding him for a minute longer before disentangling myself from the sheets and standing up. He reached over for his clothes as I made my way to the bathroom.

The shower was cold, but the dripping water down my spine was enough to wake me up properly and clear my thoughts. I pulled on the dark clothes and cloak that Remus had provided for me, observing dryly that they were green. Of course. I could never escape Slytherin.

I emerged from the bathroom, picking up the small bag that I had packed most of my clothes and other belongings into using an undetectable extension charm on it. I had to be discreet on my way to Hogwarts and not attract any attention from patrolling Death Eaters nearby.

Fred had already gone downstairs to get something to eat for breakfast, so I made my way into the kitchen, placing my bag down on the table. Mrs. Weasley had prepared some food for me to take with me in case I got hungry, as well as a large breakfast to keep me going for as long as possible. I felt sick from fear but ate as much of it as I could, not wanting to offend her or make her worry about me while I was away. Who knew when I would see her again?

Remus arrived ten minutes after I'd sat down in the kitchen, checking his watch to make sure we weren't going to be late. We had initially planned for me to make my way into Hogwarts at night time, but the Caterwauling Charm on Hogsmeade prevented me from entering the area after a curfew without setting off an alarm. So, instead, I had to enter Hogsmeade and pretend to be a tradeswoman. I had been told that someone would meet me at the Hog's Head and lead me into Hogwarts through a passageway.

"Ava," Remus cleared his throat, "I think it's time."

I nodded, picking my plate up and carrying it over to the sink to wash it. Mrs. Weasley began to make a fuss, so I quickly cast a cleaning charm on it before she could clean it herself. I was surprised when I turned back to face her to see her eyes filled with tears and her lower lip wobbling.