Chapter 29- Scars (Ava)

"Are you cheating?"

I gasped dramatically, leaning back to look at Seamus, "The cheek of it! Seamus, how dare you?"

He cocked an eyebrow, "But are you?"

I shook my head with a laugh, "Seriously, I'm not. But thanks for the vote of confidence. You're just sad because Dean used to help you out with this game, and now you're absolutely stumped."

It was Seamus' turn to gasp dramatically, "Me? Stumped? That's ridiculous, Ava. I know exactly how to play... this card game."

"I heard you tell Colin it was the most complicated card game you've ever played in your life!" I shot back with a grin. Colin, who was lying on a hammock nearby, nodded in agreement.

"He definitely did say that, Ava. And he's so stumped. I can see his cards and he has no idea what he's doing."

I laughed, leaning forwards and pointing at Seamus, "Ha! I knew Dean was helping you cheat before he left during Easter! It's only Rummy, Seamus."

"You're only so skilled at it because you've spent so many hours in the Room of Requirement, Ava," Seamus murmured bitterly, picking up a card from the pile between them, "That's cheating, surely? While we all get an education, you're sitting in here practising card games until you're a pro."

"Actually," I grinned as I picked up the card that he'd just swapped out, "I learnt how to play it in the care home when I was a kid. I was the champion in my care home. Everyone was jealous of my card skills. And I would hardly call what you're getting at Hogwarts now an education, would you?"

"No." Colin murmured from behind his book, "This is a bloody abomination."

I laid my cards out on the floor between us, and Seamus groaned when he'd realised that I'd won.

"Ava, when this war is over, give me a real education in how to play card games. You never know when you might need this kind of skill."

I scooped up the pile of Chocolate Frogs that I'd accumulated as my prizes for winning.

"Seamus... it just can't be taught!"

"What a load of-"

"Help!" Someone shouted from the door, "Someone's been attacked!"

I scrambled up, stepping on the cards as I stepped towards the door. Dennis was helping someone in through the door. Blood was dripping from the student's face, neck and chest. Their clothes were soaked.

"He... he was walking down the corridor," Dennis started to say as Seamus rushed forwards to help the student, "And some Slytherins stopped him and then he hexed them, and then the Carrows heard it and they appeared and they attacked him. I told him, I said "Neville, don't-'"

My heart stopped, and I looked at the student again, realising that beneath the blood, it was Neville. I swore loudly.

"Neville, can you hear me?" I asked as I rushed forwards and laid him down on the cushions on the floor, "Do you know where you are?"

He made a gurgling noise in response. I froze. I knew what I needed to do, but I couldn't do it because my whole body was frozen in place. This was Neville. And it was the worst injury I'd ever seen.

"Someone Scourgify him!" I managed to shout, We need to be able to see what we're dealing with!"

Seamus did it, but when I saw that fresh blood was already bubbling up from the wounds, I launched into action. I tore his shirt with my wand and stripped him quickly. The cushions beneath him were already soaked in blood. It didn't seem to be stopping.