Chapter Fourteen - A Brother's Loyalty

#14: A Brother's Loyalty

Azrael pushed against the heavy winds, ignoring the rain beating down on his face, the lighting striking beside him. He pushed his dark curls from his face and kept moving.

“Barachiel” he called out into the thunder. He pushed a little further before a reply met his ears.

“Azrael, brother.” It took Azrael a moment, squinting through the downpour before he noticed the figure before him.

“Barachiel,” Azrael addressed “I need your help.”

Barachiel stepped forward, his light brown hair, slicked back and dark azure eyes trained on Azraels face, he spoke bluntly, almost chillingly “the girl is here.”

“She is with Castiel and Gabriel” Azrael confirmed.

“You brought her up here, in the face of danger, why? You know that heaven is in anarchy because of what Castiel did” Barachiel stared Azrael down, waiting for an answer.

“Castiel fought for freedom. And here we are fighting for it again, but we need your help” Azrael pleaded.

Barachiel was silent for a moment before he finally spoke, “Kushiel is persistent .”

“He wants the apocalypse. He wants to end humanity.”

“And wouldn’t it be easier that way?” Barachiel’s gaze was stern, unfaltering.

Azrael let out a heavy sigh, “I do not deny that. But with our father gone it falls to us to do what is right.”

“What burden of that is mine?” Barachiel spat.

Azrael sighed once more, letting out a heavy breath, “please brother, a heavy burden it may be, but humanity ceasing to exist? Is that what you want? It is time to pick a side, to decipher for ourselves between right and wrong. I have chosen my side.” Azrael turned slowly and began to head back to where he had left his friends, but not before turning his head for one last line. He spoke softly, “That is the burden of freedom.”

.........................

Castiel winced as you worked your fingers over his wounds.

“I can bind them for now,” you spoke softly. You had already checked Gabriel and there was not much else that you could do for him so you simply worked on keeping yourself busy. That and taking Castiel’s mind off of the excruciating pain that he was in “so an angel blade is the only thing that can hurt you?” your lips formed the question though your eyes stayed peeled to the wounds on Castiel’s torso.

“It’s the only thing that can kill an angel,” he replied “holy fire would hurt, but not kill me.”

You kept yourself focused on his wounds, not sure of how to reply. After all you had seen you couldn’t bare the thought of another one of your friends being hurt. In fact, you wasn’t entirely sure why you brought it up. Were you really that hard up on conversational starters? Your eyes shifted back to Castiel’s face only to notice that his eyes were already trained on your form.

“That should help for now” you smiled softly. You edged away a little, the closeness between you and Cas making you feel uncomfortable. This wasn’t the same as the closeness with Dean, or even Sam. Dean was your protector, and you two fought like cat and dog but when you were close to him you felt safe. It felt right. Sam, your comforter, the best friend that you had wanted your entire life. His touch didn’t make you feel uneasy, but filled you with a sense of sanctuary. Though here, with Cas, that intense stare of his. The wonder in his pained blue eyes. It drew you close yet pushed you away all at the same time. You watched with curious eyes as his lips parted.