Chapter Two - Demons, Wicked Little Things

#2 Demons, wicked little things.

“And where do you think you’re going?” You had woken up early, before the brothers, in hopes that you could slip out unnoticed before they woke up. Though you came to an abrupt halt upon finding Dean already on the other side of the door.

“I, uh, I just wanted some air” you lied, vocalizing the first excuse that presented itself to your mind.

“Look, Dean. If she really wants to go, let her” amongst the commotion that you and Dean had stirred you had neglected to notice that Sam had climbed out of bed and was now only a pace behind you, already clothed.

“You know it’s not safe Sam,” Dean argued, motioning towards you “Literally, anything could happen to her once she’s out of our sights.”

“And keeping her here against her will isn’t exactly healthy either” Sam responded under his breath, though you and Dean could both still hear him.

You thought about speaking up as you glanced from one brother to the other. You thought about reminding them that you were in fact in the room still, though you decided hastily against this idea. The same way that you had come to the conclusion this morning that these two men were, in fact, very much, insanely, ‘fallen off of the wagon’, new kind of crazy. With a capital C. You hadn’t noticed him move but once you looked back towards the door you noticed that Dean had shifted to the side, allowing you a gateway to your freedom.

“You mean you’re letting me go?” you questioned, hesitating for a moment.

“It would seem that way” Dean replied. He shot a questioning glance toward his brother who reached into the pocket of his gray jacket. He pulled out a flip mobile phone. He then dug his hand through the pockets of his stonewash denim jeans and emerged with a few dollar bills, held together by a money clip.

“You’ll need these. I figured you lost your cell when you didn’t call the cops on our asses last night in the car,” Sam explained as he took a few strides towards you and placed the two items in your open palm. His hand lingered there for a moment and you wondered if he was going to snatch the material goods back and tell you that letting you go was all simply a cruel joke. However as your eyes traced back up to look into his you could swear that there was a certain air of sincerity and honesty deep behind those dark brown orbs. You couldn’t lie to yourself that the thought of staying crossed your mind in that moment but you dismissed it just as quickly as it came. You had already had this conversation with yourself. Staying there, with them would just be irrational. The existence of monsters, of demons was illogical. These men were sick. These men were dangerous.

Once you had put aside your internal dispute you thought back to last night. The thought of calling the cops hadn’t crossed your mind for some reason. Maybe it was the panic. Or maybe the fact that you had hit your head, but sure enough as you brushed your pockets with your free hand you came to the realisation that it wasn’t there.

Dean noticed you checking your pockets and smiled in your direction, “Even if you hadn’t lost it, we probably would’ve destroyed it.” His tone was light-hearted and casual, though something told you he was not joking.