Chapter Nine - Hurt

#9 Hurt

You filled your lungs with another breath of that damp air. You could still feel a stinging sensation on the left side of your face where a bloody gash marked your cheek. You had wriggled out of the ropes just once, turning your wrists into a bloody mess. Though it was all in vain as you were recaptured the instant that you thudded to the ground. You fought against the being, though that only made your body weaker. The multiple wounds to your back had began to dry and it worked as an adhesive, sticking the cloth of your shirt to your skin. You wasn’t sure just how much time you had been in there, but as time slipped away it began to feel like weeks.

................................................

“It’s been two days Dean” Sam sat at a worn wooden desk with his head in the palms of his hands.

Dean was pacing the floor in front of him, “Don’t you think I know that Sammy?”

“Have you tried Cas?”

Dean stopped in his tracks and turned to his brother, “Several times, Gabriel too. Heavens, they’re too damn busy to come and save the only freakin’ person who can stop Armageddon?”

“Maybe she’s not in danger. Maybe Cas and Gabe are with her already, or they think we can handle this” Sam mused.

“Or maybe Cas’ new angel friend Kushiel dropped by and decided to throw a party” Dean grunted as he flung himself back onto one of the beds in the motel room that the brothers were residing in for that moment.

“That is the more worrying theory” Sam muttered as he looked down.

It was sudden as Dean shot up from the bed, his eyes widening.

“What is it?” Sam questioned as he watched his brother with curiosity.

“Maybe we’ve been barking up the wrong tree” Dean pondered.

“What?” Sam seemed to grow even more confused.

“I mean, maybe we’ve been looking for the wrong thing,” Dean paused as he walked over to Sam “Maybe we’re not looking for a werewolf . We’ve ruled Skin Walkers and Black Dogs.”

“Your point?” Sam pushed.

“Remember Blackwater Ridge?”

“Wendigo,” Sam concluded “We need to search any old mines or caves in the area.”

“Anywhere damp and dark” Dean nodded as he climbed to his feet.

“Where are you going?” Sam questioned.

Dean looked back at his brother with a crooked grin, “To get a flamethrower. You stay, see if you can find any closed down mines or... creepy hiding places or whatever.”