Chapter Sixteen - Betrayal

#16 Betrayal

You trained for weeks, hitting the books with Bobby and shooting targets with Dean. Occasionally Sam would take over where either of them left off. Needless to say that your bond with the Winchester’s grew stronger with every passing moment. Your encounter with Dean, although not affecting your relationship with the older brother, still lingered in the back of your mind. You admired the brothers. Both of them, each for their own little perks and personal traits. Dean was, however, loyal to his word. He did not relent in his pursuit toward you. He took advantage of every moment that he was able to get close to you. He toyed with you, pressing his body close to yours, correcting your aim during fire practice. Allowing you to breath the musky scent of his aftershave, feel the gentle scratching of his stubble against your cheek when he rested his head above your shoulder. Sam, on the other hand, seemed distant. One occasion, you had both reached for the same book whilst Bobby had left you two alone so that he could ‘turn in’. Sam’s hand had brushed your own before he snapped it back briskly.

Castiel had opted to teach you about Angels. How to ward yourself from them. Of course, though not without the assistance and interference of Gabriel, once he was back on his feet. You had grown fond of Castiel, he was almost beautiful in his own way. He often would tense when you got close to him, which of course Gabriel would point out with some kind of sarcastic response, joke or innuendo. You had even come to enjoy the company of the quick witted arch-angel. He was not dissimilar to Dean in the way that he acted around you and he was about as subtle as an elephant in a crowded room.

“Just relax your shoulders,” Sam was taking the lead that morning. You did just that as you steadied your aim. You squeezed the trigger gently as the tin can before you flew from its perch on an old wooden fence.

“I think she’s got it” you turned your head with a smile at the sound of Dean’s voice.

“About time,” Sam smirked “I thought we’d be here ‘til summer comes round.” You rolled your eyes and slapped the back of your hand into his arm roughly.

“Ouch” he complained as he rubbed his arm.

“You know, Winchester, you shouldn’t tease me” you warned with a testing smile.

“When you two are done flirting,” Dean cleared his throat, drawing your attention back “[Name], Bobby wants to see you.”

Your face turned into a frown, “If it’s another lecture, I swear...”

“It’s fine,” Dean assured “He’s in a good mood today.”

You nodded, resting a hand on Dean’s shoulder as you passed him.

Your interactions with the brothers, though seemingly romantic at times, had merely risen to those of best friends. Having spent so much time around the two of them, you couldn’t now imagine your life any other way. The people in that small house had quickly become your family.

You stepped into the house and headed for Bobby’s study.

The sun had begun to peak as spring turned in Soux Falls.

You found the older man sitting at his desk, head down, flipping through some pages.

“You called?” you spoke up, notifying him of your approach.

He looked up, “I want to go through Devil traps and Demons with you one more time.”

You sighed and folded your arms across your chest, “Bobby, give me a break. We’ve gone over this like thirteen times.”

“Alright genius,” he rose his brows “Recite it.”

“A Devils trap consists of a pentagram amongst other symbols between each point inside the circle. Once a demon steps inside it may not leave so long as the sigil remains intact. Salt can be efficient in keeping both demons and spirits at bay. Neither can cross a solid, unbroken line of salt. Salt and holy water are efficient for identifying a demon. Both are harmful but not lethal. Cas has even gone through Enochian traps with me. You want me to recite monsters now? Or maybe draw the sigils up for you again?” You grinned sarcastically.