Chapter Five - Sweet Nostalgia

#5 Sweet Nostalgia

You found yourself in the old bedroom from your childhood. You knew what this was. You knew as you watched the younger versions of yourself and your sister sleeping that this was a scene from the memory that haunted you on a regular basis. You looked at your former self, eyes shut tightly and your [colour] hair a mess on the pillow beneath her head. You heard that all too familiar scratching noise. Feeling sick to your stomach you noticed the girls eyes fluttering open.

“No. Stay asleep” your pleas fell short as the young girl climbed out bed, dragging her feet over to her sister. She shook the older girls shoulder gently.

“Laney, I heard a noise...”

You waited a while longer and, as you expected, a shrill scream penetrated to the very depths of your ears, causing you to cover them and squeeze your eyes shut. You forced your eyes open and choked back the tears that threatened to brim over as realization hit you hard. You knew what was coming next and although you didn’t want to, you pushed yourself to follow the two girls out of the room and down the beckoning hallway.

“Mummy. Daddy.”

You stood behind your younger copy as she turned to sob into her sisters shoulder. The two girls stood there, holding one another and sobbing furiously. You forced your gaze upwards to where your mother and father lay lifeless in their bed. Fresh claw marks covered their entire bodies. Your mothers [colour] hair was disheveled and clung to her face where it dried in bloody clumps. Deep gashes stretched across your fathers fleshy cheeks. His left eye was sealed shut though the right one was open, infused with horror and staring into your very soul.

“Who are you?” a sweet voice caught your attention. The little version of you was now alone. She stared right as you, finally acknowledging your presence. “Did you hurt my Mummy and Daddy?”

N... No” you stuttered.

“Did,” she paused as more tears brimmed at her eyes “Did I?”

You stared in shock for a moment before kneeling before her and placing your hand on her shoulder “No. Something else did this. Something evil.”

The little girl kept her gaze on the floor as she began to sob. Her sobbing became louder and louder, until it turned to a dark chuckle. She snapped her head back and let out a sinister laugh in your face. Her eyes began to glow a deep crimson.

“You did it. You did it. You did it,” she began to chant.

You fell onto your back, trying to scramble away as she began to walk towards you. You shook your head “No... I... I didn’t do this.”

“Liar!” she screamed “Abomination! Liar! We were not supposed to be born! We were not supposed to live! Liar!” her voice trailed off as you forced your body to turn and sprung to your feet. You reached a standing position just before she lunged forward. You turned on your heel and began to run.

Three words circled your mind. ‘Use the doors.’ You turned a corner on the balcony before scrambling down the stairs. There it was, sitting in front of you, pulling you forward. The white front door was within your reach. The entrance to your old home, the exit leading to whatever awaited you on the outside. You grasped the handle and pulled the door open before stumbling through the walkway.