Chapter 13: Smile for the Simile

We get to the class in record time. I usher all the students in so we can start our lesson.

Upon the board, I have the word simile written down.

'' oh smiley'' Shella reads.

''Close sweetheart that's actually S –I-M-I-L-E it's when we compare something using the words like or as. For example, MS Hammoud is as sweet as sugar. See how I used the word as to compare Ms Hammoud and Sugar. Can anyone think of a simile''?

''isn't that a metaphor''

'' Similes and metaphor as similar because they both compare things but similes use either the word like or as. Metaphors don't use like or as to compare things. I'm going to compare two things and when I'm done I want you all to tell me if it's a simile or a metaphor.

'' she sings like an angel''

'' simile, simile '' they all yell.

'' she is as elegant as a dove''

''Simile'' they yell

'' Kelly has the voice of an angel''

''Metaphor'' they call out

'' John has a heart of gold''

''metaphor''

'' you all smell like rotten eggs''

They all giggle at that one.

'' ok, I'd like everyone to try and come up with some similes.'' I see half the students in the class raise their hands. ''Philip why don't you share yours with the class''

''Mr Mcmanpants shoes are as big as an elephant'' Philip yells

''Sheryl smells like dog poo'' laughs out Kelly

'' Kelly's voice is as squeaky as an old door'' replies Sheryl

'' Andrews Nutella sandwich looks like diarrhoea '' giggles Wassim.

'' Well these are all similes but maybe we could come up with some nice similes. It's nice to have fun and joke around but sometimes we can hurt peoples feelings. So why don't we try coming up with some nice comparisons.''

''Scott's wheelchair looks like a racing car''

'' Jenny's hair is as colourful as a troll.''

'' Ms before we start there's something I don't understand. You said that we shouldn't hurt people's feelings. But what if someone hurts our feelings, or hurts someone we care about.'' Asks Scott.

''Sometimes you're forced to be the better person just because someone is mean to you doesn't mean you have to be mean back. You always have a choice and sometimes the best choice is to be good to yourself and others''

Scoot looks down, his voice is a little lower when he says ''Ms we were all mean to the other teacher today because we know what she did. I was in the office after school, I saw her push you into the wall. I told everyone else and we wanted to get her back.''

I look at them. These kids are soo sweet. I feel tears coming to my eyes. Happy tears.

''Thank you, for wanting to help me. But we shouldn't hurt others. sometimes we have to let things go. People sometimes do a thing that isn't nice but they might be going through something we don't know about. Being mean is a little bit like poison. You do something mean once, then it spreads a little and you say oh I've done this before why not do it again and it spreads more and the next thing you know you've hurt a lot of people.''

''But that's not fair. If they hurt you, you should be able to hurt them back '' says Kelly

'' your right it's not fair, but it's the right thing. Usually, the right thing to do is the option that's a little harder to do. So when I was pushed into the wall, I got out of the other teacher's grip but I didn't hurt her I spoke to the principal and he will handle the situation.''

'' We are sorry for what we did Ms'' whispers Zayden

'' I'm not'' said, Philip

'' I'm sorry for not stopping you all, I shouldn't have encouraged your behaviour. We have five minutes left of class time, so let's have a class hug before we go outside''.

"Ms remember when I said the word dictionary sounds like diarrhoea and you said your diarrhoea, that wasn't nice was it," said, James.

" no James that wasn't nice. You are a fantastic child, you are very smart nothing like diarrhoea. I'm sorry for calling you that. Do you accept my apology?"

" no I don't, it just seems a little fake. Like you forced yourself to apologize."

" ok James, I'm just going to pretend you said yes, let's have a class hug and move on".