Flower

{Light mode}

   Hale bends to examine the carrots growing in the little garden in front of the house. He has a woven hat on his head to shade him from the sun.
    He roots out a few of the mature carrots and places them in a cane basket beside him.

CADOC
(from behind him)
It's done Mr. Hale. I took the rest inside. (Pause) And Bill and the others are lost in dreamland. (Chuckles)

HALE
Those lazy children I have. (Sighs) Leave them though. (Stands) You said Ava doesn't want to go back home?

CADOC
If we can stay for a while it'll help her recover from what's happening. And she's a little stressed.

HALE
No problem. (Smiles) You can share a room with my sons or Ava since you're used to being roommates.

CADOC
I'll can't really decide right now.

   A car (Amber's car) stops a little distance from where they stand. Jane steps out of it and walks to the door. She fits the key in the lock and enters.

HALE
Ever since Amber passed, she's been going out.

CADOC
Maybe she's seeing another man?

HALE
It could be true. Well. Let's mind our own business shall we?

CADOC
"I'll have to follow her. There's no doubt she sees Lythe. What at all do they do?"

   Bill is walking barefoot over the stone path in the garden to them.

BILL
How's it going?
Decided on which room to stay in? You can stay with Ava. You sure like each other huh. But you won't admit it will you? (Folds arms)

CADOC
We're not together. (Sighs) And I haven't decided where I'll sleep.

BILL
Okay I was messing around. (Laughs) We'll go for the tournament preliminaries today. I have to work on my grip on the hockey stick so I'll head to that.
(Walks away)

HALE
I'll watch the match from home. And my three sons make me proud by skating and swinging sticks.
I used to play, but I stopped when I got married. Then after, I had one trouble split into three. (Sighs)

CADOC
Troubles? I guess they are indeed.
(Laughs, takes basket)
I'll take these inside as well.
.
.
.
.
.
.

{Dark mode}
Ava closes the door behind her and places a file on the a table.  She lights the candles on a table and blows the flame off the the lit match.
The place glows and falls into her bed.

AVA
"The room is smaller than what I'm used to.
Where did I place Cadoc's flower though?"

  It's on a pile of books on the table by the bed. She reaches for it and holds it close to her chest with closed eyes.

AVA
"Will you come Cad? Maybe you won't place the blanket over me and close the windows. I won't get to see your face against the pillow and pull you out of bed if you're lazy.(Sighs)
(Chuckles)
It's hard to imagine my life without you sometimes.

   There's a knock on the door and Cadoc walks in.

AVA
Cad?

CADOC
I came to...err...I came to see if you were alright. With the room or anything.

AVA
I'm alright. It's nice and comfortable in here. (Smiles)

CADOC
So..err...how did your talk go with the officials?