Chapter 1

Few months earlier
Spencer's POV:

Hotch had called us all in earlier, wanting to discuss something. So, here we were, waiting at the infamous round table.

"Okay guys, I'm sorry for the wait. We have a new agent coming in to work with us today. Her name is Supervisory Special Agent Peyton Rivera. She previously used to work with the CSI but recently showed her interest in the BAU."

And there she was. The most beautiful girl I had ever seen. Her hair was a dirty blonde, almost yellow, and she had on grey dress pants and a cropped white lace shirt. Her blazer matched the colour of her pants. Her nails were manicured and painted yellow. She looked after herself well. What I noticed first was the way she walked in. Like she owned the place, confident and proud. On second thought, she looked very arrogant. Her gaze landed on me and I looked down, intimidated. Well, two can play at that game.

After the case had finished, I wanted nothing more than to go home and sleep. This case had a child who just wanted to fit in involved and those cases always seemed to hit me the hardest.

Just as I was about to step into the elevator, Emily called out to me.

"Hey, we're going to the club. Want to come with us?"

"And who is us exactly?" I asked. I never was a fan of socializing anyway. I'd rather sit at home and read a book. I had Romeo and Juliet to finish up too.

"Well, it's kind of a welcome party for the new girl, so really everyone's coming except Rossi. Says he has a pasta date to go to." She snickered. If anything, pasta was the date Rossi had. I rolled my eyes. I'd seen her in the field today and she didn't really accomplish much except get in my way. She might be gorgeous, but I didn't like her. I tried to make up an excuse to avoid seeing her again but Emily wouldn't take no for an answer.

"Come on, pretty boy. There's no way I'm letting you sit this one out."

Peyton's POV: (A year ago)
"So you'll do it? You know this is a sucide mission right?" My roommate questioned.

"Yes Cara, I'm well aware." I huffed. Good, any chance to get off the earth, I'll gladly take it. I was part of an illegal spy warehouse. In simpler words, a bunch of delinquents, forced to do things we really didn't want to do and then had to pay for the consequences. Which, by the way, were way harsher than they needed to be. The justice system was absolutely, completely broken.

My mom died when I was five due to some unknown disease that doctors are still researching and I blamed myself for it everyday until I was 14. It only got harder when my dad started drinking. Whenever I would see him, he'd tell me what a useless, worthless little girl I was. My dad was an alcoholic and forced me to rob a bank at 17, and when I got caught, he had a whole alibi ready to get out of it. Not to mention, as a seventeen year old living with an alcoholic dad, I wasn't exactly mentally stable. I got a sentence for five years, but with bail money that I'm sure wasn't clean from my dad and good behaviour, I got out after a year. He did it to show that he really did care for me. Like, seriously? Who was going to buy that? I spent the next three years doing intense community service. Only to have my dad kill this girl he was having an affair with for 14 years and try to pin it in me. It didn't work and they took him away for good.

I never got over it. And as Cara calls it, I have a heart of gold because every year, I still visit him. Then, one day, at a coffee shop, I met Rio. He was smart, cute, impulsive, kinda aggressive too. Just my type. Yea, so me being me, I followed him and turns out, he was meeting up with his gang. Obviously, he tried to scare me away, but I robbed a bank at seventeen so that didn't end like he was hoping it would. That was the start of a friendship.

Eventually, over the course of a month, I told him my life story, and he told me his. Abusive parents, never paid attention to him, blamed him for everything. One day, he got fed up and ended up smashing a plate over his dad's head. He said they wanted to get rid of him, so when the police came, they were ecstatic to send him away for a long time.

Rio ended up doing four years, and when he got out, he worked extra hard to raise money to get out of London and two months later, he came to America. Impulsive, remember?

Me being the dumb person I was, I made a move on him and turns out he was gay. So there goes that. We were best friends though, and not long after I tried to kiss him, he told me about this group he was leading. It was filled with people like me and him, misfortunes. A month ago, Rio showed me the BAU team at Quantico. He said that they had stored some information about his dad and he wanted it. As a good friend, I told him I'd definitely be up to go undercover for him.

And that's how we land here. Cara was scared that I'd get caught somehow, but I assured her Rio had everything planned out perfectly. His team had even made me a fake CSI badge and all the proof I'd need to show to everyone at Quantico. In the last three months, I did all my research on the BAU's unit chief, SSA Aaron Hotchner. He had a son, Jack Hotchner, and apparently his wife had died at the hands of a serial killer he was after. Pretty tragic. And if there's something I learned from going through all my trauma is that once someone else knows about it, they have all the power in the world to hurt you with it.