Chapter 20

Emily's POV:

It's my birthday.

It's probably the best I've had in awhile. Yesterday was just filled with good news, Spencer had won his trial. And so, technically we're celebrating two things today. Everyone threw me a surprise party which wasn't exactly a surprise since Garcia is literally the worst at keeping secrets. It went a little bit like this:

"Surprise!" I had been woken up at exactly midnight just to see my living room filled with the whole team and Cara yelling in my face with those stupid kazooka thingys and confetti littered all over my floors.

At first I had no idea what to do since I was half asleep and convinced I was hallucinating. Then after JJ shook me and almost pushed onto the table, I gave a proper reaction.

My jaw was dropped to the floor and my cheeks hurt with all my smiling. I hugged everyone, thanking them for all their wishes. We didn't eat much considering it was midnight, but man did we party.

Derek had brought over his very own disco ball that was shaped like weights. I just remember thinking 'this is the most Derek Morgan thing ever'.

We partied and partied until our feet hurt and honestly all my sleepiness had vanished. I was as wide-eyed as I could be as I watched Spencer try to do magic tricks on one end of my living room while a drunk Penelope had climbed up on my kitchen counter and decided to dance to Act Up by City Girls on the other end.

JJ, Cara and I were screaming as Penelope dropped down. What was I watching?

Cara's hand came up to wrap around mine as she cheered Penny on.

Oh yeah, Cara had asked me out yesterday. I invited her to dinner with the team after Spencer's trial and I think everyone really liked her. After my birthday, she did have to go back to Cleveland but I told her we would make this work.

After all, a state never seemed to keep us apart anyway.

Beside me, Aaron had his hands covering his eyes to refrain from seeing Penelope being so unprofessional and Rossi had his eyes directed towards the ground, staring intensely at his shoes acting like Penelope wasn't dancing just two feet away from him. Spencer's jaw had dropped along with all the cards he was doing magic tricks with.

"Yes work it, Babygirl!" Derek chanted as he also attempted to climb up the counter but was too drunk to do so. Not to mention Penelope almost kicked him with her heel as he was trying to get up.

I took that as my cue to get them to calm down
"Alright, alright." I said, carefully pulling Derek away so he doesn't get whacked in the face with her heel.

"Thank you Penelope for the wonderful performance." A chuckle escaped me as I watched her wobble around the counter,  trying to find a way to get down and I offered her my hand.

"Anything for the birthday girl." She slurred.

After that the party had died down, everyone just sitting down and talking the best they could with all the slurring and drunken conversations.

I pulled my phone out to check the time, my eyes widening as I realized it was almost 5 in the morning.

"Hey." A man tapped on my shoulder, causing me to turn around.

It was Hotch. "Happy birthday Emily. You mean a lot to all of us. I'm really proud of you for what you did in the interrogation yesterday, I know it was hard but you did it." He gave me a genuine smile.

"Thank you, Hotch. I couldn't have done it without the rest of the team." I look back over to the couch where Rossi was still gulping down wine and JJ and Cara were laughing at something he said. I love them so much.