Chapter 7

A/N: I have no idea how military bases and helicopter rentals work and stuff so to be honest with you, I'm not sure what I'm writing and it's probably not accurate. But for the sake of the story, let's all just pretend it makes sense 😃

Peyton's POV:

The clock struck 4 am. It was still dark out.

I came home last night, only to see Spencer already asleep on the couch. A book hugged tightly to his chest.

Romeo and Juliet.

I smiled to myself. He's read that like four times already.

"Spence?" I gently asked, shaking him a little. Instinctively, he stood up, rubbing his eyes to see me better.

"Hey. What took you so long?" He asked, his voice a little higher than usual.

"Just finishing up on paperwork." I mumbled and shrugged. Together, we walked over to his bedroom.

I pulled the blanket over to cover Spencer before climbing in myself, holding him one last time.

"I love you Spence." I could barely hear myself, let alone have Spencer hear me. Plus, he was already asleep, snoring lightly. I lightly traced over his eyes, and touched his lips, before kissing him softly. He really did deserve the world. I could only hope he would find someone better. Someone worthy of his love. I didn't sleep much, scared that if I closed my eyes this moment would slip through my fingers and I'd be this much closer to hurting the only people who loved me with everything they had.

The moon was still bright out, shining on me. Exposing my dirty deeds. I slumped around Spencer's apartment, to which I had grown accustomed to calling home. I never moved in, but I barely spent any time at my trash apartment. An apartment I had bought in a hurry. Now, I stood in another person's house. A freaking library. But I loved that about Spencer. He knew who he was and he was proud of that. It was a feeling I wasn't familiar with.

I double checked, making sure I didn't leave behind anything that could get me in trouble. My eyes caught sight of Spencer's dresser. I looked at myself through the mirror. Who are you?

My long, dirty blonde hair was tangled really badly. It was from all the pulling my hair during that voicemail I left for Emily a few hours earlier. I ran my hands across my eyes, taking notice of how my eye bags were so much more visible now. My irises were a boring plain shade of brown. Nothing special. They wouldn't intimidate anyone. The lips that once held laughter were now shut closed. Chapped and dry and pale. There was so much I wanted to tell Spence but no words could describe what I was feeling. There was nothing that could bring back the shine that Spence had in his eyes whenever he looked at me. He'll never see the confident, strong girl that walked into the BAU a few months ago. Infact, I don't see her either. I don't think I'll ever find her again.

The tears reappeared quickly as I sat back in my car. The only noises being the banging of my head against the steering wheel and my sobs. My breath hitching in my throat every so often. Taking the little courage I had, I started the car.

In silence, I drove to the military helicopter rentals. Taking in a deep breath before walking in.

"Name and badge ma'am." The lady spoke up monotonously.

Rummaging through my bag, I tried desperately to find my badge. My hands sweating and trembling with my every move. It's SSA Peyton Reid." I replied, handing my badge to her.

She eyed it suspiciously. "I understand that it says Peyton Rivera but, I, uh, go by Reid now." I laughed awkwardly. The lady seemed to accept that. I don't know why I said that but I liked the way it rolled off my tongue.