Chapter 14

Spencer's POV:

We were currently on our way back to Quantico. I wasn't sure if what I was about to do was the right decision or not. I just knew that I wouldn't risk losing anyone else. Emily had scared me to death. Pun intended. No, why would I say that? What is wrong with me? Peyton always used to say that, remember?

Slightly groaning, I rubbed at my eyes. She always made her way into my thoughts, all the time. It was exhausting.

Some weird, hopeless romantic part of me had called Cara back at the hospital. I mean, it was only fair considering Emily had gone to such lengths to make her comfortable. Even if it was just a cognitive interview. And also, I guess I kind of shipped them.

I'm not sure if I used that in the correct context. Peyton said it was some kind of slang, but it wasn't proper english. I don't know why anyone would want to use a form of transportation to describe a relationship of any kind. Peyton was definitely the "cool" one in our relationship. Derek had informed me enough times on that subject.

Emily wasn't exactly happy that I had called Cara over. She said it was unnecessary to stress Cara out like that, and I swear my eyes rolled to the back of my head. She was so whipped. Nope, it only sounded cool when Peyton said it. I rolled my lips inside my mouth.

"Reid, we're here." Hotch's voice rang out, and I squinted my eyes as they adjusted to the bright rays of the sun. I must've fallen asleep during the car ride.

"Emily, do you-do you need help getting out?" Hotch asked Emily, who was currently struggling to stand up due to the bullet wound on her stomach.

Hotch reached out his hand, which Emily gladly took. Occasional groans slipping from her.

Did I really want to involve the whole team in this? Wasn't the whole reason I didn't tell them in the first place to keep them safe. Part of me knew it was because I thought they wouldn't understand. How foolish it was of me to assume they wouldn't understand my pain. They knew me better than anyone. They were all I had. I should do this, it was the right thing to do. I hope she was proud of me.

Once we stepped inside, Garcia was the first to come hurtling towards me. Her arms spread out ready to engulf me in a hug. The worst possible moment for my germaphobia to jump out because I retracted myself into a ball as Garcia wrapped her arms around me.

"Oh my sweet baby!" She kissed me all over, and I laughed slightly. Even though all that clouded my heart was hurt and anger.

"I am so so so sorry! We had no idea what you were going through." Garcia pulled back and I saw her glossy eyes.

"No, why would you? I should've told you guys from the beginning. You all meant just as much to her as me." I shook my head, wiping a stray tear that fell from Garcia's eyes.

JJ walked through the back door, her face filled with pity. Something that I usually would've minded but I couldn't care right now. I'd separated myself from all of them, and in all honesty, I missed them. I hadn't just lost Peyton, I'd lost all of them too in the process.

"Spence, how are you?" I almost flinched at the nickname but stopped myself before I could.

I shrugged before answering, "Been better." JJ's eyes moved from mine to something behind me. Someone, I realized. Her eyes lit up like a star on top of a christmas tree.

"Emily, oh my goodness! What happened to you?" I watched as JJ's eyes went wide once she noticed the wound on Emily's stomach.

"I'm alright. Trust me, I'm so high on the painkillers I barely notice it." Emily chuckled, and JJ shook her head at Emily's answer.