Chapter 11

Spencer's POV:

Emily stuck with me most of the time. We found a decent hotel in Cleveland until we could get close to our target, Cara Rosalia Bailey. She seemed to have a strict schedule. Work to home, eventually stopping for groceries once a week. Even going out to clubs on Fridays and Saturdays. She didn't look like someone who had just lost her roommate.

After two weeks of just observing her, Emily decided it was best to make a move. Right now, we were sitting ducks. Pawns on a chessboard hoping they would make a stupid move and we'd have the upperhand.

We met her at a club. Vendetta, it was called and I almost laughed out loud at the irony. In an uncanny way, she reminded me of Peyton. So carefree, shutting out the world as she danced.

But she wasn't Peyton.

It made me furious, knowing her friend lost her life and here she was, partying in a skimpy club.

Of course, there was a high possibility that Cara knew nothing about Peyton's wrong side of the law lifestyle, but I didn't want to go there. However, pretending it doesn't exist doesn't make it go away.

And that was the despairing reality.

Cara sat beside me in the bar, Emily three seats away. I couldn't tear my eyes away. She just resembled Peyton so much. Sure, her hair was brown, and her nose was pointier than Peyton's. She had long nails, whereas Peyton liked hers short and manicured. But their actions were so similar.
Cara flipped her hair off the shoulder just like Peyton would. She twirled her earring around to keep her hands busy. Another thing I'd noticed Peyton do countless times. Or she'd stick her hands between her thighs when she got nervous. Cara, unconventionally, doing the same thing right now.
"Um, can I help you?" She spoke slowly. That's when I realized I had been staring too long.

"I-I'm sorry." I mumbled, unsure of what to do now that I really was here.

Cara laughed, turning her body slightly towards me, psychologically saying she was interested in me. A person's body language says a lot about them. What was I supposed to say to the brunette? Oh, sorry. I'm actually into your friend. Remember her? Yeah, she's dead now and I'm still not over it.

Peyton always told me I had a habit of staring. I can't help it, it's my job to observe people. So much so that I could predict their next move. But Cara, she was a blank canvas. Her eyes not revealing a single thing about her past. No dark moments, no regretful experiences.

She had no idea her roommate was dead.

"Well if you wanna stare a little longer, you might as well buy me a drink." The brunette giggled.

Subtly, I glanced over to Emily. She nodded her head. We needed a way to get Cara alone and this was our chance. "Uh, yeah sure. W-what would you like?" I asked stupidly, I never had much experience with things like this.

"Gin and Tonic please." She answered warmly.
I turned over to the bartender. "A gin and tonic and straight vodka, please."

Cara's jaw dropped a little in surprise. "Straight vodka? Someone's had a bad day."

Try a bad few months. "Yeah, it's been a little rough." Out of the corner of my eye, I could feel Emily shooting me a glare, obviously not impressed by my choice of drink. Honestly though, I couldn't care less.

Cara kept making up small talk, asking me about my friends and family, and my job.

"Yeah, I'm an FBI Agent. Specifically the Behavioral Analysis Unit." I retorted smugly. Emily knew where this was going too.