.𝟻.

LONG CHAPTER WARNING

Clay: let me know when you board the plane tonight okay?"

I squinted at my phone screen as my hair sprawled over the pillow and over my face, blocking my tired eyes from vision. The green glow from the screen blinded me as I read his message.

Me: I will, can't wait to see you again!

I waited patiently for his message to respond, lying there holding my phone like I depended on it. I stared hopelessly under my text, waiting for the "read" receipt to show.

After what felt like an hour he finally texted back.

Clay: 👍👍

I furrowed my eyebrows at the controversial text. It wasn't necessarily bad or rude but after the energetic phone call I had with him the other night I would've thought he would be more enthusiastic. It's almost like every other day or at random moments, he would come to life. Actual talking, showing emotion and energy. Then others would be dry, no feedback whatsoever.

I groaned internally and shifted myself up against the headboard, taking in the muggy smell of my room. The sky outside was a light grey, little to no blue could be seen through the hoard of clouds. The only thing really illuminating my room was the old lamp on my desk. I had forgotten to turn it off last night due to the lack of sleep I got. I had stayed up finishing up some old assignments until I couldn't look straight properly.

With my hair in a knotted mess, I dragged my feet off the bed and onto the soft carpet. My apartment was silent as normal. The soft tap of the rain against the windows echoed throughout the halls, giving me a sense of the outside life that will eventually wake me up more. It doesn't rain often here so small amounts of rain can be a huge deal and brighten a lot of people's days.

Slow steam danced from my warm mug of coffee as I held it with both my cold hands. I was dressed in some old plaid sweatpants that I have forgotten where I got them from. I also had George's old sweatshirt over my arms and torso. I looked like a hot mess, I'll say that, but when you live alone, nothing really matters anymore.

I walked out to the balcony with the mug of coffee, sitting down in one of the chairs and crossing of of my legs over my knee. It was humid and a cold wind blew past, causing the steam to my coffee to flinch like a candle dancing in a dark room. The longer I stayed out there, the quieter and quieter the rain got, until it eventually calmed and left a damp muggy air behind.

Taking a sip out of the coffee, sharp pain struck at my bottom lip and tongue, causing me to cringe and drop the mug onto the table with a loud clutter. Cursing under my breath, I held my mouth with my cold hands and entered back into my apartment.

Embarrassment washed over me as I stared into the mirror, dark red and purple staining my lower lip. It looked as if I were 4 years old and stumbled over my own feet, falling face first into the pavement.

Splashing some cool water onto my face, A distant noise from outside the balcony door caused me to lift my head out of the sink and to poke out the bathroom door. It was a low rumble but I couldn't see any dark clouds, snaps of lighting, everything seemed calm.

Still holding my mouth, I rushed out of the bathroom and out the balcony door, holding the rail with my free hand and gazing down to the area below. Down below, the small parking lot had a bright yellow convertible driving through like a madman. Smoke sputtered from the exhaust pipe and music blared from the radio. I caught a glimpse of the familiar head in the drivers seat.

Fluffy brown hair bouncing with each jerk of the car, the familiar taste of music. The way he had one hand on the wheel with the other dancing in the wind as it hung over the door.