.𝟷𝟼.

It all just happened so suddenly.

"Y/n? Are you okay? Talk to me." Clay pestered as I say there stunned. I just kept staring down the empty wet streets in the distance.

How come no one told me? I mean, especially my mother. I've always still been in slight contact with her so there was really no reason for her not to tell me that my father had passed away. Was there a funeral that I had not been invited to? So many questions ran through my mind.

"How did it happen?" I said under my breath, loud enough for him to hear.

"House fire." No one knows how it happened yet but some of the house still remains there.
"I'm really sorry Y/n. I thought you knew."

I was at a loss of words. I thought about calling my mom to ask her about what happened. Would she pick up? Did she even know? What about my younger siblings? Do they know?

"Excuse me." I said blankly, holding my phone tightly and turning for the door.

He didn't say anything as I walked inside. I quickly dialed her number into my phone, I had to redo the sequence due to my fingers shaking vigorously.

"Come on.." I muttered as my phone buzzed every 3 seconds, impatiently waiting for her to answer.

"Y/n?" Her voice suddenly became clear. All the fuzziness and blurs that clouded my head vanished. The only thing coming to focus was her voice.

"Mom. I'm in Florida right now. Why didn't-"

"What the hell are you doing in Florida?" She cut me off in a tense tone.

"To visit a friend. It doesn't matter. When were you gonna tell me Dad had passed away?"

"I'm sorry Y/n. I never thought you would ever go back to Florida after what had happened. I didn't think you'd ever want to have your father in contact with you either so when I found out the news I just didn't think you needed to know. Are you upset?" She explained.

Is she out of her mind? Am I upset? What kind of idiotic question is that.

"Just because you both treated me like dirt doesn't me I don't deserve to know when someone passes. He still is my Dad y'know." I snapped. I hadn't realized tears were streaming down my cheek.

There had been no response through the line. Just the faint buzz of the air conditioner on her side of the phone. I knew she was still there.

"Was there a funeral?" I managed to whisper.

"Since I was his only contact, authorities called and let me know what happened. There wasn't a funeral but I did pay for them to bury him with a tombstone." She said in an almost unbothered tone.

"And you didn't even hesitate to ask me what I thought of that?" My voice broke. "How selfish are you?"

"Look. I don't have time to argue. I'll send you the location of his grave later. Sorry." She said before hanging up.

The line went dead. The buzz was the only sound despite the rain pattering on the windows. The majority of my feelings weren't the fact that my father had passed away. It was more of the fact that my own mother didn't even think to tell me this information. The thought of my childhood home in ruins. How did my siblings take this news, if they even received it in the first place.

"Y/n?" His voice broke me out of my thoughts.
His hand touched my shoulder gently, it seemed to weigh my arm down with how weak my knees felt.

Shaking my head, "Doesn't. Even matter." I muttered. Tossing my phone on the couch before making my way to the kitchen. I leaned my hands on the sink and let the cold water run. I cupped the water in my hand and splashed it across my face, cooking my heated skin.

"Can I do anything? I hate seeing you this way." He sighed, following me and standing by my side.

"Nope. Nothing I can really do now as my own mother didn't even think to communicate with her own daughter. Along with her decisions were already said and done so really all I can do now is deal with it. Maybe get over it? That's what she expects me to do. So thank you Clay for tonight. You really opened up the world for me. I'm just gonna head to bed." I pushed past him and let the tears fall silently as he sighed behind me.

Closing the door of his neon green room, I slid down the back of the door and buried my face in my knees. I knew I shouldn't have come here. Maybe the truth does hurt. I knew these memories would break me down the second I stepped off that plane. I wonder if George is watching over me. I mean he promised, but promises are bound to be broken.

Maybe he felt betrayed as he watched over Clay and I's moment in the rain. I knew that wasn't a good idea. The temptation I have will only bring harm to me and others around me. I can't keep this going with Clay. It will only hurt him as much as it will with me.

I have to promise myself.

Never again.

an.

super short chapter i'm sorry

i understand if you don't wanna continue this story with how slow the updates are

literally no motivation at all to write

I have the plot down and all the different events but i just can't get myself to write. But uh yeah i'll get there eventually.