.24.

I watched hopelessly as he left the scene, leaving my heart sunken to the bottom of my stomach.

I stressfully brought my hands to my head as I began to hyperventilate after what I had just done. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say that, it just blurted out." I groaned as Nick stared at me with concern.

"Y/n are you okay?" Nick asked, placing a hand on my shoulder. I just looked at him confused.

"Am I okay? Go check on Karl!" I urged as I quickly put on my shorts and shirt.

"Y/n he kinda deserved what you said to him. He had no right speaking to you that way." He assured calmly but nothing about me felt calm.

This same thing has happened before, I get pissed at someone, yell at them, they run away and I may never get the chance to see them again.

I just pushed past them and ran up the field towards the parking lot where I had seen him leave. I looked around frantically until I found his bright colors turn a corner. As soon as I caught up to him, wheezing out of breath, he turned around with tears welling up in his eyes.

"Karl please." I coughed, trying to catch my breath.

"You already said what you wanted to say Y/n." He rolled his eyes, his voice breaking mid sentence.

"Please just listen." I sighed, taking his hand and pulling him to a nearby bench. He shifted his jaw to the side as he looked up, trying to fight against the tears that wanted to come out.

"I just want to say that I'm sorry." I began, " I'm sorry I haven't been telling you anything. I'm sorry I've been distant this week. And I'm sorry I said that awful thing in front of Nick and Bella. I just got so angry in the moment that I wasn't thinking." I continued.

"I do owe you an explanation about what has been going on this week between Clay and I." I hesitated, messing with my fingers as they shook in my lap. I told him about the hallucinations I had back at my house, the words George had told me whether not he was really there or not. I told my him my understanding with choosing to let go from the past. I admitted I also understood the controversy about moving on with Clay with the past he had with George but he really did make me feel safe and comforted. I then confessed my reasoning behind lying to him. The constant fear I had of him judging me which he did understand with how he just now reacted.

"Y/n.. I'm so sorry." He said quietly, looking down into his lap with shame.

"I'm sorry I said those awful things to you. I understand if you don't forgive me but I do want you to know that I don't know what came over me in that moment." He hesitated before looking into my eyes. "I guess I have to admit that I was kind of jealous. Jealous that he was here waiting for you with his arms wide open. I guess that I used the excuse of George to shame you for that." He trailed off, coughing against another cry that wanted to escape.

"Using the excuse of my ex, that killed himself for the sake of the people he loved, because Nick wasn't giving you the attention you needed? Karl.." I whispered in disbelief. I wanted to forgive him but it was just too fucked up.

"I know. You don't have to forgive me. I don't know what has gotten into me." He shook his head, looking around as he wiped the tears from under his eyes.

I stood up from the bench, wanting to walk away from him so badly but I learned from my lesson and urged him to follow.
"Where are we going?"

"Back to the group. You're going to talk things out with Nick. And apologize to Clay." I muttered, my voice cold .

"Okay." He said softly, trailing behind me slowly.

As we approached the group back at the beach, we found them packing up all the blankets and speakers until they spotted us. Clay got up first, gazing at me expectantly as I just frowned with saddened eyes. He noticed my mood and dropped his shoulders with a sigh, pulling me into a hug as I finally walked up to him.