.17.

The next morning was rough.

My mind was foggy as I got up and found my way to the bathroom. As I leaned on the corner and tried to clear my brain by splashing cool water on my face, Karl walked in from the guest room, a big smile on his face.

"What's up with you." I said in a groggily voice.

"Don't be mad but I may have got into the rainbow loom that you packed." He said in a giddy tone, holding out his wrists to display the array of color.

"Damn, that's a lot. When did you wake up?" I exclaimed, holding his wrist to examine the 6 bands on each arm.

"Probably like 2 hours ago. I mean it's already 12. Clay went out to get food and you were still passed out." He said.

"What's he getting?" I asked, changing my gaze to the mirror. I ran my fingers tiredly across the dark spots under my eyes.

"I dunno. He said he wanted to get something you liked since you were in a "not so awesome mood"'. He said with air quotes. "Whatever that means."

"Ah. It's just family problems." I sighed as the reminder hit me in my tired head.

"You wanna talk about it? I mean you look like absolute shit right now so it must be bad." He scoffed playfully.

I thought about just keeping it to myself since it didn't really involve him but I knew that would be hypocritical with how my own mom did the same exact thing.

"Well I found out some unexpected news from my mom last night and-"
I was cut off by the front door opening and slamming shut with Clay's voice following,

"Is she up? I got donuts!"

"Oh yeah! I call first pick!" Karl yelled back and ran out of the bathroom.

I stayed behind and stared at myself in the mirror. My smile faded. I though maybe sleeping on what happened last night would've helped but the thought of everything still hung on my shoulders.

"Y/n! You want one?" Clay yelled from the kitchen.

"Sure, be there in a sec!" I yelled back.

I splashed cool water on my face and took 3 deep breaths before stepping out into the hallway. All the curtains were pulled back so natural sunlight beamed into the apartment. I squinted at the unexpected light before greeting Karl and Clay.

Clay stood by the counter with a cup of coffee while Karl happily ate his glazed donut. "I tried to get ones I thought you'd like." Clay smiled thoughtfully.

"Thank you, these are perfect."

As I picked up of my favorite type of donut, Karl began to speak again.
"So what were you saying about your mom telling you something last night, Y/n."

I paused mid-chew and glanced up at Clay who gave me a hesitant stare. I didn't want the attention to be on me but there was no reason to just keep it from him.

"Well I called her and she confirmed with me that my father had passed away a few months ago." I said looking down at my plate, attempting to swallow my food but nothing seemed to want to go down.

"Oh gosh Y/n. I'm so sorry. Is there anything we can do?" Karl sighed heavily, dropping his donut and putting his hand on my shoulder.

"Not really. Everything's already said and done. Can't do anything about it now." I muttered loud enough so he could hear. "Nothing except to just forget about it."

I wasn't even sure I had brought up my bad relationship with my parents to any of my California friends yet. Come to think of it, the topic never had been on my mind since I moved.