XXII: another day, another struggle

Natalie had become more than an assistant in the time that she and Gabriel resided in his winter home in the country. She was an errand girl now as well. They had moved out here not all that long ago, to further protect, and stay hidden from the heroes of Paris. Gabriel refused to allow servants into his house, so Natalie was now the only one cleaning the house, aside from the once a month deep-cleaning crew that came. It was a decently small house, about the size of a barn house- well... it was a barn house.

"Gabriel?" Natalie said as she knocked on the door to the study.
"Enter" a cold voice responded. She entered the room and placed a tray with a cup of coffee and some croissants on the desk. Gabriel was sitting on a emerald velvet couch in front of the large curved window that filled the whole wall.
"I brought your breakfast, but we are running out of food. I will head into the city today to get some more. Do you have anything you would like me to bring to your agent while I am there?" She said. "Yes, I have a letter for her. It is on the bookshelf. And get an update from Barlot." (Adriens bodyguard, but I find it weird that Gabriel would call him gorilla and he doesn't have a real name so i made one up) "Be back before 3, you have other things to attend to." He said.
"Yes sir." Said Natalie, and grabbing the letter, she left the room.

~•—————————•~

"Adrien? Are you listening?" Mrs Mendilaive said, slapping her ruler on his desk. Adrien snapped out of his thoughts.
"OH- uhm, yes- what were you saying?"  He said, hoping it wasn't too late to recover from that. His teacher sighed, not repeating her question but continued the lesson.

"Bro are you alright dude?" Nino asked him.
"Yea I just-" he took a quick glance at Marinette. "Got something on my mind."
Nino looked at marinette, then to alya, who shrugged, then back to Adrien.
"Do you wanna talk about it?" He asked. Adrien shrugged and started putting his things away as the period came to a close. "Well, if you ever-" "Ill see you tomorrow Nino." Adrien cut him off, walking out of the door before Marinette.

"Something's off with him." "Same with Marinette." "Do you think something happened between them?" Nino asked. "Im not sure, but it seems the only logical explanation." Said Alya as she watched as Marinette shuffled out of the room.

Marinette's breath hitched in her throat when she saw Adrien, standing in a corner in front of the staircase, blocking her way to her next class. "Okay. i can do this" Marinette breathed to herself and she began speed walking to the stairs, her head down in an effort to hide from him, but to no avail, Adrien had an eye for her midnight hair.
"Marinette!" Adrien said as she rushed past him. He grabbed her wrist before she could get too far. She tensed when he caught her.
"H- hi Adrien." She said
"You've been avoiding me all day."
"Sorry i just-" she took a breath. "Last night gave me... alot to think about." She said.
"Do- do you want to talk about it?" He asked, stepping a little closer.
"I- i don't know. I don't think-"
"I want to talk about it." Adrien cut her off.
Marinette turned to look at him. This was a mistake. Adriens brows were nit together, his eyes flooded with worry. Marinette pulled her hand away and clutched her bag.
"Adrien... we will talk about it. I just- need to figure some things out first. Sort out my thoughts, ya know?" She said, looking down.
"Yea uhm- i guess. I just- i have things to sort out too, stuff to figure out I- thought we could figure them out together... make it easier for the both of us."
"Its- not just you it's-" the bell rang as class started, the sound echoing through the halls.
"Its more complicated than you think, I have to go." Marinette finished, and ran to her class.

"I messed up didn't I." Adrien said to his kwami. "You were gonna tell her." Plagg said plainly. "What?" He asked.
"Adrien you know you can't do that."
"I wasn't gonna tell her!" Adrien defended. He looked up to see the flow of Marinette's skirt disappear through the door. "I shouldn't have made her choose."
"Well, its too late for that. Now get moving your late to class." Plagg said, pushing him down the stairs to his class.

Marinette struggled to focus that day. Alya noticed it almost instantly and all Marinette could bring herself to say was "Ill tell you later."
The rest of the day was slow, but it eventually ended, as all things do. She briskly walked out of the building, ready for a hot shower and a few hours of screaming into her pillow.

"Marinette!" Said a voice behind her. She took a deep breath and turned. "Hi Adrien."
"Uhm- Im gonna go to the library with Nino to do some studying if thats alright."
"Oh." She said. "Uhm- yea go ahed. Just be back in time for dinner." Marinette gave a small smile. "Ill tell my parents."
"Thanks" Adrien said.
"Bye."
"Bye." Adrien waved, but she had already turned around and continued walking towards the bakery.

"Hey Adrien, do you wanna go to the store before the library? Im kinda hungry dude." Nino asked.
"Uh, sure, I could eat."
"Great, theirs a store on the way."

As the two walked into the market, Adrien noticed a curtain woman that was familiar to him. His breath hitched in his throat.
"Dude you ok?" Nino asked. "Yeah, it was just a hiccup." Adrien lied. He followed Nino to the drinks, and Nino picked a few out, while he was overlooking the selection, he came across a certian drink and gasped. "Dude! They have Arizona here!" Nino exclaimed, grabbing a can.
"Whats Arizona?" Adrien asked. "Its an American drink, Ive always wanted to try it. Oh but theirs so many flavors!" Nino said to himself.

Adrien chuckled. "You have fun with that, im gonna go to the bread isle, see if they have any croissants." Adrien said, and left his friend- not to go to the bread, but to find the woman he had seen before.

"What are you doing here Natalie." Adrien asked sternly, Arms crossed. She gasped and turned around, the can of beans falling slightly as her hand slackened.
"Adrien-" "what are you doing here." He said again. Natalie took a breath, before turning her attention back to the rack of canned food. "Groceries." She said.
"He has you running errands now? I should've known, he doesn't care about anyone but himself."
"Adrien, your father-" "My father?" Adrien chuckled. "My father died with my Mother." He cut her off. "I don't want to see you or Gabriel, ever again. And I hope you fired my bodyguard. He deserves more than whatever you're paying him." Natalie gasped. "A-" "goodbye Natalie. I hope you know you'll never win." And with that he stormed off. Leaving Nino who was still in the drinks isle, behind. He would text Nino later. But right now he needed some fresh air. And his Lady.
                        ~•———————•~
Hii guys, thank you for being so patient, it took me a while to figure out ehat to write. The next chapter should come out sooner bc im going to start writing it right after this one, but- no promises. I really want to get it out sooner though.
Also. 16K READS???@?:&?:&?&:!,&/&!\*~\~%+}+#+\+,¥?!\!~*}*]+<£,'

I- i cannot thank you guys enough 💛💛💛💛💛💛💛

Also whos been keeping up with the new episodes? Bc WEEEEEEEEEEE