𝒌𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒂

"This party will be fun, Audrina. Trevor will even introduce us to new people."

Audrina smiles as she looks at herself in the mirror one last time, "I trust you. You've taken us from Bulgaria to England. We've survived all this time and we will continue to." 

"Every day we get closer and closer to the small home on a lake."

There's a knock on the door and I look up, walking over to answer it. "Trevor?"

"Katerina, are you ready to be escorted?"

I smile as my sister walks up next to me, "yes, we are. Thank you."

~

The mansion where the party is underway is humungous. I've never seen anything like it. I watch as my sister stares at the party in awe. The room is filled with guests talking to each other and having fun.

"I'll be right back," Trevor says as he kisses each of our hands.

"Do you like him?" my sister asks.

I smile, "he's kind. The best I can get."

Trevor seems to be bringing a man over. "My dear," he smiles once he joins us.

"Hello," I greet.

"Hello, nice to meet you," Audrina smiles.

He stares at us in shock before speaking. "Forgive me. You two remind me of someone. Twins, fascinating."

"Audrina, Katerina, may I introduce the lord Elijah."

Elijah holds out his hand to me and I take it and curtsy. My sister does the same.

"Pleasure, my lord," we both say.

"The pleasure's mine. Katerina and Audrina," he replies and kisses our hands.

~

"So where is this mysterious host I've heard so much about?" I ask.

"Fashionably late," Elijah responds. "He likes to make an entrance." Elijah seems to have seen someone coming down the stairs. "Here he is."

The man Elijah speaks about is hidden by the crowd. My sister and I look around for him and finally, we see him.

"Audrina and Katerina, may I introduce to you the lord Niklaus."

My sister curtsies as lord Niklaus kisses her hand. "Niklaus is the name my father gave me. Please. Call me Klaus," he smiles. "From where have you girls come?"

"We are new in town, my lord," my sister says.

Elijah looks at Klaus with a smile. "Katerina and Audrina are from Bulgaria."

"Zdravei, Katerina and Audrina."

Audrina and I laugh in delight at the unexpected use of our mother tongue.

"Very good," I gleam.

"Twins, correct?" Klaus asks.

Audrina nods.

"I've always wanted a twin," he continues. "Elijah just isn't as interesting." Klaus grins cheekily at Elijah and I smile at the sight. "Do you mind, brother? I would like to have a moment alone with the girls."

At first, he hesitates but then he gives in. "No, not at all. Happy Birthday, brother."

Klaus smiles and we follow him away.

~

Elijah and I are outside the mansion as I run and laugh. "You have to chase me!"

He runs after me but suddenly stops. I stop as well and laugh. "You're meant to catch me."

"But if I catch you, the game will be over."

"Thank you for entertaining me."

"You looked lonely inside," he replies, "so I took pity on you."

I sit down on a stone bench. "Klaus promised to spend the day with me, but he never returned home from the night."

"Yes," he acknowledges. "Klaus does not live by any rules but his own."

"He is a very charming man. Hard for anyone to resist, I suppose."

"And yet..." Elijah trails off.

"I know not why he courts me," I ponder. "He seems to not care about me at all."

"Many a union has been built on much less."

"Is it wrong to want more?" I ask.

He sits down with me and asks, "do you have more with Trevor?"

"Trevor believes that he loves me, but true love is not real unless it's returned. Do you agree?"

"I do not believe in love, Katerina."

"That is too sad for me to accept, my lord. Life is too cruel. If we cease to believe in love, why would we want to live?" I look down at my lap and then I look back at Elijah. "My sister loves me and I love her. That love is true."

Before Elijah responds, Klaus joins us with my sister by his side. "What do I interrupt?" he asks.

"He's returned," he states and looks at Klaus' shirt. Blood is stained on it. My sister's face is wary almost as if she is fearful of the man she is standing next to. "Long night," Elijah finishes.

"What has happened?" I ask worriedly.

"The wrong villager picked a fight at the tavern," Klaus tells us.

I stand up and take my sister's hand and without another word, we leave with Klaus. But not before I take one last look at Elijah.

~
word count: 805