1864

Mystic Falls, Virginia, January 8th, 1864

Audrina Petrova, going by Audrey Pierce at the time, sat primly in her seat as she waited for the carriage to arrive at the Salvatore Estate.

Her brown doe eyes stayed glued to the window and after a few short minutes of slowly making their way down the road, Audrina found herself staring at a large white house sitting on a bright green lawn.

She smiled at the sight as she was taken aback at the size of it. The carriage led up the small road leading to it.

"Katerina," Audrina gleams as her sister cranes her neck to get a look at the estate.

Katerina sighed before saying, "I can not see. How big is it?"

"Bigger than anything we've ever seen," Audrina replies.

Katerina huffed at not being able to see and folded her arms, "this dress needs to be off of me. It's hotter than the surface of the sun."

"Oh, Katerina," Audrina sighed.

"I don't think the Salvatores would mind," she said with a devilish smirk.

"You're so naughty, you know that?"

Katerina giggled as the carriage approached the house, it only seemed to get slower the closer they got to it.

The carriage began to turn, pulling up beside the estate before coming to a complete stop. Stefan Salvatore stepped out onto the front porch, he stood with his hands behind his back.

The sight of his face instantly made Audrina's heart flutter and she was suddenly speechless.

"Well, he's handsome," Katerina smiled.

All Audrina could do was nod as she continued staring at him. Even from the far distance they were at, she could see his strong masculine features, yet he had such a soft face.

Emily began to step down from the carriage and moved to open the door for the girls. She opened the door smoothly and offered her hand to the eldest, Katerina, of course.

Katerina placed her gloved hand delicately in Emily's opened palm. She tipped her head gracefully as she gathered her skirts and stepped from the carriage. She was the picture of beauty. Her dark brown hair was curled and tucked into an up-do, leaving a few pieces to frame her face. She was dressed in a full-bodied cream and green chiffon and silk gown that fit tight to reveal her slim waist.

Katerina released Emily's hand and immediately made her way to the man ahead of her. She climbed the few steps effortlessly and offered her hand with a smile. He took it, leaning down and pressing a kiss on her white glove.

"You must be Ms. Katherine Pierce," he smiled as he rose from her hand which was still in his.

She smiled and stuck her chin out confidently, "please, call me Katherine," she said and he couldn't stop beaming.

She then turned to Damon with a smile. "Katherine," he took her hand politely and kissed it, "it's a pleasure."

"The pleasure is mine," she turned as she spoke, "and this is my beautiful twin sister, Audrey."

Emily reached inside the carriage for Audrina's hand which she took in a tight grip. She was helped from the carriage the same way as her sister before. Audrina made her way to the steps.