𝒂𝒖𝒅𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒂

I was so focused on looking at the beautiful painting mounted in front of me that I barely notice the footsteps slowly getting closer to me.

"At least now I know that you have taste."

His voice startles me and I turn to him. "Lord Klaus, I apologize for the intrusion. It's just..." I drift off as I look back at the masterpiece "I've always loved art of all sorts, especially painting. Though my family was much too poor to afford such things."

"When I was a boy I made my own paints," he tells me as he walks closer.

"Really?"

He nods and gestures toward the canvas "I could teach you or perhaps I could show you how to paint."

I smile at him, "that would be.. wonderful, lord Klaus. Thank you."

"Do not thank me, Audrina."

"I want to," I insist, "you've given me something that I up until recently believed was impossible."

He smiles and takes my hand, kissing it, "then I shall be thanking you for gracing me with your presence, Audrina."

A blush rises to my cheeks. Daniel never made me feel this way. I quietly clear my throat causing Klaus to chuckle, "you are too kind, lord Klaus. My sister would love your flirtatious banter."

"I am not talking to your sister, am I?"

I bite my lower lip and shake my head, "no, no you are not. I suppose it's time for you to show me how to paint, isn't it?"

"I suppose it is," he replies. Klaus disappears for a few minutes and returns with a blank canvas, paintbrushes, and paints.

He sets up the canvas and places the utensils needed in front of it. "Now do not laugh if I'm horrible at it," I chuckle.

Klaus smiles and holds his hand out. I take it and he leads me to the chair in front of the canvas. I soon feel his warm presence behind me and his breath on my neck. "Pick up the brush and dip it in the paint," he instructs.

"Which one?" I ask.

"You choose, Audrina."

My eyes scan over the different colour paints and I decide on black. Easy enough. I dip the paintbrush in the black paint and that's when I feel Klaus's hand on my hand, guiding it to the canvas.

He helps me with every single stroke until the entire canvas is covered in black paint. "You are already doing well," he encourages, "now choose a new colour."

"Okay," I dip a new brush in the white paint and he helps start to paint white stripes on the canvas. It resembles the beautiful print of a zebra. "It looks like a child painted it."

He chuckles and cleans off the dirty brushes in the water bucket, "it's your first painting, Audrina. You will get better with time."

"Hopefully," I look back at the art I just created as I wipe my hands off on a towel, "what will you do with it?"

"I think it will go nicely with the decor in my room. It should look best just above my bed."

I look at him in shock, "lord Klaus, you are hanging my art piece in your room?"

"Yes," he replies, "unless you have a problem with that?"

I quickly shake my head, "no, no of course not."

Klaus smiles at me before disappearing with my painting.

~

Later that night, Klaus and I stand in front of a fireplace together. "Are you starting to get warmed up?" he asks.

I nod, "yes, I am. Thank you."

"Audrina..." he trails off and I look at him curiously, "I'm sure you're suspicious of my brother and I. We've been quite secretive."

"I know not to ask questions, lord Klaus. Everyone is allowed to have their secrets."

"I no longer want to keep them. Not from you at least. I am not sure if you noticed, Audrina, but I have grown quite fond of you."

My breath hitches in my throat and I stammer before managing to get out a few words, "you have? B-But how? I am just a young girl and you..."

"I am nothing around you," he finishes, "and you, Audrina," he caresses my cheek, "you are everything."

He stares into my eyes and without letting another second pass, he presses his lips to mine. "Klaus," I whisper as I pull away, our foreheads leaning against each other. "L-Lord Klaus. My sister, you have no idea how angry she'll be. You see, she—"

"You have to stop putting your sister before yourself, Audrina. Think about yourself for once, please."

I nod, "it is a habit," I admit.

"Please, tell me how you really feel," he says, looking into my eyes.

And it's weird. It's almost as if I can't deny it. As if I have to listen no matter what and the words come spilling out of my mouth. "I am scared but I also have never felt this way before. You make me feel like I'm burning from the inside out and I do not like that. But my heart is telling me that I long for it. At the same time, my mind is telling me to take Katerina and run. I do notwant to do that, though. You make me feel happier than I've ever been, Klaus."

"Since you've been so honest, Audrina, I must tell you something. Though I did not hear exactly what I wanted that is more than enough for me," he says, "I will sacrifice your sister for my ritual on the full moon and spare you."

"What?" I gape, "what ritual? You cannot sacrifice my sister!"

"I can and I will," he insists and I pull away from him in disgust, "and you will live. I've come to my decision and no one can or will change my mind. Not even you."

"I now know of your plan. How do you know I will not trick you? Or run away with her?"

"Mark my words, Audrina, I will find you no matter where you go. I will follow you to the ends of the Earth," he suddenly bites his wrist and I slowly back away, "to make sure that you will not trick me and lie about being Katerina," he shoves his wrists against my lips and his blood flows into my mouth.

"Klaus!" I shout as I wipe the blood from my chin, "what have you done?"

"I will ensure that you will not trick me nor will you die," he says with a cold look.

Tears stream down my cheeks as I look at him in disgust, "how could you? You are turning me into what you are?"

He places his hands on my cheeks, "I cannot have you die, Audrina," he says in a calm voice, wiping my tears, "I cannot lose you."

"You are turning me into a monster," I cry, "please, do not do this. Please," I beg.

Klaus kisses me softly and it looks like his face has shifted. Has he changed his mind? "You will forget this encounter, Audrina. You got warmed up in front of the fire and we had a nice talk before you went to bed."

I smile at him, "Lord Klaus? Are you okay?"

"I am alright," he assures me and wipes something off my face, "you should head on to bed, Audrina."

"You are right," I agree, "goodnight, lord Klaus."

"Goodnight."

~

word count: 1209