Chapter 9: The reflection

With my back resting on the side of the bed, I sat staring out the window. I think it is funny how sometimes the things that we really want can be in view and so close to us but always just out of our grasp. The window separated me from the outside world. It separated me from my old life. It showed me what my life could be. The sun shone on the ground and birds flew around enjoying the fresh air. Flying with freedom. The freedom that I wanted so badly. Even if I escaped from this prison, I didn't have any idea where I was so it would make it rather hard to find help.

The moment of peace, watching the birds, soon ended and I was brought back to my dark reality. The sky began to become clouded, those clouds turning a deep grey. I heard the door shut and gathered by the lack of knocking, it was Mason. I didn't turn to look at him, instead, I focused outside on the birds that, so shortly ago, were dancing and singing. The darkened sky had forced them to seek refuge in the trees, out of the looming storm.

He came around the corner of the bed and observed me seated on the floor. He was trying to work out why I had chosen to sit there and why I was holding my knees to my chest. He probably thought it was from pains in my stomach but it wasn't. I had a reason why I chose here, but I highly doubted he would have any clue.

"How are you feeling" He sounded concerned

Sometimes I wish people wouldn't ask questions with obvious answers. How the fuck did he think I was feeling? He had kidnapped me, repeatedly drugged me, forced himself on me, taken my friend from me, locked me in his room, and on top of that, I had my period. How would he feel?

"Are you really asking me that? Do you even care?" I remained looking out the window. Rain began falling from the clouds and trailing down the glass. I watched as they raced each other down, seeing that now there was no sun in sight.

Mason left my question unanswered, which gave an answer in itself. We sat in silence and both looked out the window. He had moved from standing to sitting on the bed beside me. He leaned forward to rest his elbows on his knees. Turning to look at me, he asked another question.

"What are you thinking about?"

"Home"

"This is your home"

"No, It isn't"

Mason hastily stood up, running his fingers through his hair. My answer had clearly angered him because he was pacing around the room like he was trying to calm himself down. I wasn't sure why he got upset, surely he couldn't think that I thought of this hell as home. Men are a mystery to me. So he couldn't unleash his anger on me, I asked another question hoping to defuse his rage.

"Can I have some clothes that aren't yours?" Probably not the best question to ask, but the smell of mint and tobacco that lingered on his clothes, was intoxicating.

"No"

"Why"

"Because I said so. When I believe it is the right time you will."

"The right time for what? To have some of my own clothes?" I was genuinely curious, what was going through this man's head. "Please. Couldn't you just get me some clothes? Or send one of your many maids. Or heck, send me guarded by all your guards"

"Maybe. But I don't trust you in public yet. Not that you could ever leave me." he added with a smirk on his face. Yeah why would he trust me, he barely knows me.

"Wouldn't you be with me?"

"No."

I smiled at the window. Even with the guards, I would think of something so that I could escape.

"Exactly why I don't trust you baby. I saw your reflection."

Damn. Stupid window.

"Please, just send all of your men. I promise I won't try anything, I just don't want to wear your clothing." I lied.

He paused, turning his head to look out the window. He was probably weighing the pros and cons and then what would go wrong because without a doubt I would cause trouble. After five or so minutes in silence, he replied.

"Okay. If you behave today and only if, I will have my best men accompany you to purchase some clothing." He reached out his hand to me to which I raised an eyebrow

"We are going to get some food. Take my hand, baby."

Ew. I would rather be hungry than touch his hand, let alone eat with him. I opened my mouth to protest but was promptly cut off.

"So no shopping then tomorrow, huh?" He asked me in a dumb tone as if he was speaking to a toddler.

I realized that he thought I wasn't behaving and me arguing back wouldn't have helped my case either, so I bit my tongue and stood. His hand remained unmoving, in front of me, as he stared at me wondering what I would do. I quickly grabbed his hand not wanting to anger him more as he smiled at my sudden action.

He marched us out the door and down the stairs. My head started spinning and I began to stumble. Mason reached his other hand out to steady me, but I yanked my hand out of his grip and pushed him away. I was surprised when he didn't grab it back and just walked over to the table instead. Joining him at the table, he passed me a plate with some toast on it. I grabbed a glass of water and began nibbling my toast. We sat in silence.

His large, cold hand rested on my knee and then began making its way up my thigh. I jolted at the sudden contact, hitting the table, causing him to let out a deep noise of amusement. I tried to push his hand off and move further away on my seat but all my attempts were futile.

I ate my toast trying to hold down the rising bile in my throat from where his hand had decided to rest. Once Mason decided I was done, he snatched my hand and took me back upstairs to the room. The dreaded room.

-------------------------------------

Hey everyone,

How did we find this chapter? Why do you think Annalise chose to sit on the floor? 

I had a smidge of trouble naming this chapter but I think I am happy with what I decided. I have already got plans set out for the next few chapters and I can't wait to write them.

B x