Chapter 39

"Morning, baby." Mason purred in my ear.

I rolled over to see his head propped up by one arm, his muscles flexed. His hair was tousled and a small amount of stubble lined the lower half of his face. I lay on my side watching him examine my face. He moved forward and pulled the covers up over my shoulders before turning and hopping out of the bed.

He wore dark grey tracksuit pants that hung dangerously low around his hips. With his back turned to me, I could see his strong form tensing and releasing with every step he took. Our clothes were already packed away. The same silk pyjamas as yesterday clothed my body as I slipped out of the bed. At the sound of my feet touching the cool floorboards beneath me, Mason turned to follow my movements.

"Mason?"

"Yes, princess?"

"That day you gave me that bracelet, did you..." my voice wavered "What was the reason?"

"Well there were a few, but yes, it is what you are thinking. I knew it was your birthday."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't see it as necessary."

"Can I ask you another question?"

"Of course."

"Actually, don't worry." I said as I made my way to the bathroom.

I knew he saw through my pathetic attempt to cover up my curiosity, but he continued to dress anyway.

"Antonio and Marguerite will be up here shortly to help you get ready." he said, walking over to me.

With his arms outstretched, he pulled my body into his embrace around my waist. I laid my hands flat on his chest and gently pushed against him. He brought his head to mine and as his lips met mine a hand crept up to my head holding it in place for him. His lips moved against mine in a passionate way, but I didn't kiss him back.

He sighed and just before he opened the door to leave, he smiled and said

"I'll see you at the altar." and with that, I was left alone.

It felt strange. I felt strange. As I showered and got into the robe and underwear that was left out for me, I had never felt more lonely in my entire life. Not when my dad passed away, not when my older brothers left for the army, not ever. It was ironic I guess. After all, Mason had a rather difficult time letting me out of his sight, so I don't think I was ever going to be alone again.

A well-pronounced knock resonated through the wooden door as Antonio and Marguerite appeared, followed by about 4 other maids. One holding a bag, which I assumed had the dress in it, another holding several boxes stacked on top of one another. The others were holding bags upon bags of products, all for my hair and face.

When Antonio saw me, a smile stretched across his face and his arms opened wide. He came over to where I was now sitting on the end of the bed and pulled me up to my feet. As he softly bumped each of his cheek against mine, kissing each, he spoke softly to me.

"Are you ready, babe?"

"I guess so"

"Alright. Let's get to work."

It felt like every part of my body was being pulled in a different direction. While Marguerite and two other ladies twisted and twirled my hair, others painted my nails. Antonio painted my face with products lining my face from my lips to my brows.

It was finally time. The dress was brought out from behind the people who lined the room. All eyes fixed on me. The white bodice was lined with lace, finishing so that my breasts were visible over the cut of the dress. Thicker straps secured the gown to my body. The skirt split, revealing my leg while the rest of the material fell around my feet.