Chapter 18: The disagreement

The rest of the day had gone by rather quickly, thankfully. I was no longer chained to the bed but I couldn't really move either. My stomach had turned a lovely deep purple colour and was beginning to turn yellow around the edges.  Baillee came in to apply some healing cream as well as changing ice packs on my stomach. I didn't talk to her besides when she first entered.

The door had creaked open after I had invited whoever knocked to come in. Bailee peaked her head around the corner and paced over to me. Although I knew she wouldn't hurt me I was very alert, which caused me to stiffen. I let out a small shriek when I did so, the movement causing pain to shoot through my stomach.

She lifted her hand up to pull the sheets back from my chin, where I held them tightly.

"Annalise, please, let it go"

"No"

"I need to put this cream on your stomach. It will help."

"No"

"Master will not be pleased when he discovers you have refused his treatment"

"I wouldn't have to refuse this 'treatment' if he hadn't 'treated' me with such anger the other day"

Bailee sighed and turned around to walk over to the door.

"Annalise, I know that you and I have our differences" she paused

No shit. You are a willing servant to the devil himself. I am his captive. Of course, we could have our differences as she put it.

"But if I have to go and tell master that you wouldn't let me help you, he won't only punish you again, he will punish me too. I understa-"

"NO! HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY UNDERSTAND? YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE IN THIS PLACE DOES NOT UNDERSTAND ANYTHING! MASON IS A MONSTER! AND ALL EVERYONE DOES HERE IS FOLLOW HIM AROUND LIKE DOGS!"

Bailee looked at me with fear and then ensured that the door was locked from the inside. Quickly tip toeing over to me, she began to whisper.

"Annalise, I know that you are upset. I know that he has hurt you. I know that nothing I can do will make this situation any better. I know that you don't understand my actions and I know that you don't trust anyone here."

She reached out her hand and grabbed one of mine. She paused, looking as if to choose her next words carefully.

"Annalise, I wish I could help you escape, I really do, but I can't. So please let me help you with this. Mast-, Mason will be aware of our argument by now and it wouldn't surprise me if he soon storms through that door. Please, if not for you, for me, let me put this on your stomach."

I nodded cautiously and slowly pushed the sheets that were covering me, down to my waist. Hesitantly pulling the camisole that rested on my stomach to my chest, I looked at Bailee who gave me a reassuring glance. She brought the tub of 'healing' cream to my stomach. I really wasn't sure how this would do anything. I didn't like Bailee, but if I could do something to prevent someone else being hurt, I would. I didn't know if she was even telling the truth but I wouldn't risk it.

I lay my head back on some pillows behind me as she began rubbing the cool ointment over my stomach. 

Bailee was correct. A loud noise started banging on the door, followed by a deep male voice yelling through the door.

"Annalise! Bailee! Open this door right now."

It was Mason. Bailee hurried over to the door and unlocked it. I remained still with my head resting on the pillows, staring up to the ceiling. The door flew open and I could feel Mason storm over to where I was lying.