Chapter 12: The Supermarket

After what felt like an eternity of Mason forcing me to try on different sets of underwear for him, we finally left. He must not have realized that I was no longer on my period because he made me show him everything I put on but, didn't try anything which was odd. I decided that I could use this to my advantage because it seemed as if he wouldn't make any more serious advancements towards me as long as he thought I had my period.

We were walking to the exit, which meant we were going home, which meant more time being alone with him, in the middle of nowhere with no one to help me. Starting to panic, I had to level my head if I wanted any chance of escaping to work. Mason held my hand firmly after I had tried to pull it out numerous times. I think the moment of guilt for making me indecently 'parade' around for him, passed because he was back to always touching me - even if it was just my hand.

We were getting closer to the door when I stopped walking, making him halt with me. His eyes rolled, stroking his chin he sighed

"What is it now baby?" apathetically questioned

"If you would ever so kindly recall" I paused watching him grow impatient "I need some things for my period"

He went awkward again. Good. I had thought correctly, he didn't like this subject and also thought I was still on my period. This would be good.

"What do you need darling?" He said all sympathetically.

His mood swings were giving me whiplash. He had gone from forcing himself on me, to seeming to genuinely care about my well-being. Like shit did he care. If he cared, I would not be with him. I would be at home or school or wherever I would be on a - I couldn't even remember the day let alone the date.

"What date is it?"

"April 23." He replied way too quickly. "What do you need for your, um, situation?" he asked again

He wrapped his hand around my waist and started leading me in another direction, probably to a supermarket. April 24. Milas's Birthday was on April 10. That meant that I had been living with this monster for 14 days. That is 14 days too long. I had to get out. I had to run. I had to try anything, for Mila, for me. Did my mum and dad miss me? I know that I hadn't been the perfect daughter but they still loved me, I hoped. Had they sent out search parties looking for me? Wait. What if I wasn't even in the same country?

"Annalise" Mason said, pulling me out of my spiraling mind. "What did you need, I can send someone to get it for you."

"No. Please, can't I go? You can come with me and have your men guard each end of the aisle but please just let me do this."

He seemed to ponder for a moment and then responded

"I think it is very cute darling," he kissed my forehead. "that you think you can tell me if I can or can't come with you. Remember Lise, you are mine so I will do whatever I like, but I am feeling generous so I will grant you your plea and accompany you to get your.... things"

I was relieved that he was going to let me do this. He controlled every other aspect of my life for the past 14 days and I didn't need him controlling this. Along with me wasting time, being able to go into a supermarket meant that I could potentially be recognized as the missing girl if I had even been reported as a missing person.

Walking into the supermarket I started scouting out anything that I could use to help me escape or any people who looked like I could trust them. I started walking through the shop and when I say I, I mean me, Mason and his men. I had never really been one of those girls who openly talked about lady issues, but if it made Mason uncomfortable, I was going to make sure it was a conversation topic.