Chapter 35

I stood there. In shock. Sure the last event was big, but this? This time it was massive. There must have been close to seven hundred people standing there, looking at us. Mason must have noticed my rigid composure because he gently squeezed my hip and smiled.

Usually, I was happy to meet new people, but if these people were anything like Mason it was going to be beyond difficult. I stared at him, stunned. He gave me a small nod before addressing the people whose attention was still fully on us.

"Good evening, everyone. Thank you all for attending tonights 'Black ball'"

His voice rang out in the silence of the guests.

"Tonight, you are my guests. Tonight we celebrate."

A man in a black suit with a white shirt appeared next to Mason. He was holding a silver tray and on it rested two flutes filled with champagne. Mason took both flutes, handing one to me and proceeded to talk.

"A toast"

He raised his glass. Hands rose throughout the hall, each holding a sparkling liquid.

"To you all. To family. "

Mason proceeded to sip his drink, everyone else responding in the same way. Applauds and cheers erupted as Mason turned to me. The chatter had returned and he began to talk again.

"Are you not going to drink?"

I quickly took a sip, this night was going to be far too difficult not to drink. He laughed at my sudden reaction and led me towards some steps to descend to the rest of the guests.

"There are important people here tonight, Lise, so do not cause a scene."

I sighed but nodded my head.

"Couldn't you have told me that there were going to be this many people?"

"I didn't see it as necessary to inform you."

"Clearly." I muttered

I knew he heard my comment but people started to swarm him. I just had to stand there, nodding and smiling as people crowded around us. Sometimes I could understand what they were talking about, but other times it was in Italian or some language I didn't know. This guy really knew how to speak at least three languages, that I knew of, fluently.

After a few rounds of greeting people and Mason refusing to let go of me, I think I had consumed about four alcoholic beverages. Mason hadn't said I couldn't drink, but I would be careful to remain alert because he did say if I acted out, it would not be a pretty ending.

Just when I thought I might finally get to sit down, a tall muscular man who was a fraction taller than Mason, made his way over to us. I still tried to move over to some couches that were calling my name, but Mason gave me a stern look. He pulled me back to him, our bodies colliding as this man shook Mason's hand.

Bitchass pussy. You wear some fucking tall heels and see how you go Mr. I-don't-care-what-you-want.

"Ah, Signor Reyes, che bella serata hai ospitato" (what a beautiful evening you have hosted)

"Grazie. Ti stai divertendo stasera?" (Thank you. Are you having fun tonight)

"Sì molto. Queste bellezze qui stasera, implorano per una bella scopata." (Yes, much. These beauties here tonight, begging for a good fuck)

They continued their conversation while I scanned the room. Considering that it was such a grand event, I was hoping that Mila might be here. After all, I thought Ace was Mason's second in command.

My trance was broken when Mr. Italian reached for my hand. He placed a kiss on the back of my hand. Mason tensed next to me, man, this guy was next level possessive. Yes, I was repulsed by this action, but if it got under Mason's skin, I was all for it.