Chapter 31

My eyes remained shut as I tried to use other senses to take in my surroundings. A constant beep was coming from beside me. A hum from what I could only assume was medical machinery filled my ears. I could vaguely hear some chatter some distance away from me, in another room.

A small, thin tube ran across my face and into my nostrils. The cannula was secured behind my ears and trailed slightly down my right arm. I could feel tape above and below on the inner side of my elbow, leading me to believe there was a needle in my arm.

Slowly raising my eyelids, I shifted my head to see a heart monitor, showing a steady rate which was where the beep was coming from. I had a drip in my arm, with clear liquid flowing into it. My arms were bandaged from where I had been cut. A cool breeze on my neck made me think that I had some kind of healing cream on the lacerations and bruises that no doubt lined my chest.

I went to wiggle my toes, but I couldn't feel them. Why couldn't I feel them? I tried to think back to what I last remembered. Panic filled me as I remembered what happened in the cell with Mason. We had been in that room for hours, him taunting me every step of the way. My ankle. He broke it.

The beeping beside me began to climb as my heart rate rose. Something stirred beside me. His face appeared in my vision, which only exacerbated my distress.

His hands softly captured my face and angled it towards him. His thumbs stroked my cheeks as he hushed me and his soft lips placed a delicate kiss on my forehead. I heard the door shut followed by some footsteps.

"Off, off, off." A lady's voice came from around the bed.

Mason's cold hands slipped from my face and let the lady have a better view of me.

"Well hello, there sleepyhead. You gave us quite a scare." She said fiddling around with some machine behind me.

I wouldn't have given such a scare if Mason hadn't done such a number on me. I went to open my mouth to speak but was immediately shushed by the nurse.

"Rest your voice, honey. It needs a bit of time to recover. You have quite the pair of lungs, I hear." She said, glancing at Mason

I saw him shift to position himself to the side of the woman, to observe what she was doing. His eyes slowly drifted from her hands to me. His cold eyes locked onto my body as I closed mine. I couldn't bear to look at him.

"I'm Rose, the Reyes nurse." She introduced herself, still playing with a machine beside me.

Mason slowly turned and headed over to the door, when he seemed convinced I was in good hands. The door shut, but I knew it wouldn't be long before he would return.

I know she told me to rest my voice but I had to try something.

"Pl-e-as-e" I croaked out "Ple-as-e I n-eed yo-u-r hel-p"

She took one of my hands and shook her head. My vision returned to the ceiling when I realized there wasn't anything that anyone would do to help me. I was truly on my own now. She let go of my hand and returned to what she was previously fiddling with behind me.

"Annalise, I know that you have been off to a rough start with Mason,"

Yeah no shit.

"But he has a good heart in him, I promise. If you just give him a chance, you'll see."

"Se-e w-ha-t? Th-e lo-n-g-er I a-m wit-h h-im, t-he w-o-rs-e he g-et-s."

"But my dear, you keep testing him. He isn't used to disobedience and that is exactly what you keep doing. If you obeyed his orders, he would make you his queen."