three: just family things

"Congrats on the album H!" Niall screams as he grabs another beer from the bar. I thank him and glance around the room at everyone here to celebrate my album launch, Niall and Liam are both drinking away and I don't blame them, they don't usually get the night off from Bear since they changed their custody schedule.

Dakota and Bear are at home with a babysitter, and part of me wishes Dakota was hear running around and giggling, since he's been born we don't go many places apart besides me going to meetings and him going to school.

This next year while I'm touring I'm bringing Dakota along, he went with me on my last tour and this time I know he's going to want to go. He hates being away from me, and up until recently he used to cry when I dropped him off at school.

The party continues for another couple of hours, and people are too drunk to tell me when a certain brunette comes walking in. He waves at me and my heart stops as I try and think of who would've invited him, and suddenly I'm thankful that Dakota isn't here.

"Congrats on the album, it sounds great." Louis says giving me a kiss on the cheek and a hug. I blush from the affection and then just give him a weird look.
"Niall slipped up and told me about the party, just thought I'd stop in and congratulate you." He says. I nod and hand him a beer when the bartender comes over.

Louis thanks me and then turns and glances at all the album stuff on display. Niall comes over at that point, hugging Louis and saying how much he's missed him and then grinning at me.

"Good thing Dakota isn't here." Niall cheers and then walks off leaving Louis looking confused, and maybe jealous.
"Who's Dakota?" Louis asks immediately. I just wave him off with a laugh.
"No idea what Niall's talking about." I say. Louis just rolls his eyes and takes a sip of his beer.

"You're a shit liar, H." Louis says, the nickname just rolling off the tongue like before.
"Don't worry about it, no one you need to worry about." I say. Louis just shrugs and then my phone starts ringing and I frown when I see the babysitter is calling.

I excuse myself from Louis and answer the phone when I get to the bathroom and see it's empty.
"Hello? Is everything ok Jenna?" I ask quickly as I think of any scenario in which this would qualify as an emergency.
"Dakota started puking an hour ago, and I gave him a bath and stuff but he won't relax and keeps asking for you." Jenna says. I sigh and glance at my watch, seeing that the party will end within the next hour anyways.

"Ok I'm going to leave now, tell him I'm on my way and then give him another bath." I say she thanks me and then I hang up and head back out to the party. I let my manager know what's up and everyone starts leaving once the music is off.

"Maybe we can catch up when you're not in London?" Louis says. I nod and he gives me a kiss on the cheek and then leaves with Liam and Niall.

I grab my jacket and then go to my car and drive home and just think about Dakota the whole ride and not about Louis.

When I get home I go inside and let Jenna go, and then head to Dakota's room and spot Bear asleep in the bed and Dakota laying on the floor asleep.

I grab Dakota and take him with me to my bed, and he snuggles into me and remains asleep as I carry him into the room. He stirs when I lay him on the bed but he doesn't wake up so I just let him be and then go and get changed into a T-shirt and boxers and climb into bed with Dakota.

He wakes up momentarily just to say he missed me and then goes back to sleep. And I'm once again thankful that he wasn't at the party to see his dad.

. . . . . . . . . .

"Dakota we have to get going, we don't want to be late to pick up nana do we?" I ask as I grab a bag from the closet and shove some things in there just in case Dakota has an emergency.

I grab Dakota and carry him to the elevator and go to the parking garage and put Dakota in the car and then get in the drivers seat and drive to the LAX airport.

When I get there my mum and Gemma are waiting at the departure side and I pull up and my mum gives me a kiss on the cheek as I help her with her bag and Gemma's.

"Nice to see you Harry, I've missed your short hair." Gemma says giving me a kiss on the cheek and then climbing into the back seat. I get into the drivers seat and once everyone is buckled I start the drive back to my place.

"Auntie Gem says she brought presents!" Dakota says excitedly as I try and pry out of my mum what she got Dakota.
"You have to wait for Christmas buddy, only two more days." I say. Dakota pouts and then starts squirming and I know he has to use the bathroom.

"Dakota can you hold it or do you have to go really badly?" I ask as I already merge over to the exit ramp to get off and take him into a bathroom.
"Really need to go, sorry daddy." Dakota says. He puts his hands in between his legs and I grab a beanie and sunglasses and then park my car in the McDonald's parking lot and my mum says she can take him but I just wave her off and get out and go inside.

I get into the bathroom and instead of letting him touch everything and gross me out I just hold him up as he goes pee. I then wash both of our hands and after some begging from Dakota I get him an ice cream sundae.

The rest of the drive Gemma goes on and on about how boring London is and how she wants to move out to be with me, and then she decides that I'm too boring for her and that she'll just wait until I'm on tour.

"My lease is up soon anyways, I'm buying this place in LA, closer to Dakota's school." I say. My mum squeals in happiness and congratulates me and then goes back to asking Dakota how school is.
"Miss daddy at school." Dakota says with a pout. I frown back at him and then hand Gemma some wipes when I see the mess he's made with his ice cream.

Once we're back at my place I get Gemma and my mum settled in the guest room and then change Dakota into clothes not covered in ice cream and start dinner.

The next two days are filled with last minute preparations on my part and Dakota being crazy hyped up on sugar thanks to Gemma.

On Christmas Day Dakota goes crazy about all his wonderful gifts, thanking all three of us after each gift and saying 'oh my gosh' after opening each present.

My mum gives me a personalized necklace that says Dakota's name and Gemma fuels my recent ring obsession by gifting me one with Dakota's birth stone and some gold initial rings.

And later that night when Dakota begs to sleep in my bed with me I let him, because despite him being a lot of work I can't imagine life without him.