six: a long conversation about what you want

After my first show I celebrate by watching late night movies with Dakota since he hasn't adjusted to the time zone and movies help him fall asleep.

My phones been buzzing and I figured it was Twitter and then I see a text from Liam and Niall and then a few from Louis. My heart stops when I read the ones from Liam and Niall and then once I situate Dakota I call Louis and sit on the toilet with the lid down.

"Were you just not going to tell me?" Louis says as soon as he answers. I take a deep breath and prop my feet up on the tub.
"I tried to tell you, you were so deep in self pity that you didn't care to listen." I say. Louis scoffs and I just take another deep breath to relax myself.

"That's not fair, you know what I was going through and still chose to not tell me." Louis says. I just roll my eyes and rest my head against the wall.
"Louis I'm not going to fight about this if that's why you wanted me to call you." I say. Louis sighs on the other end and I try to see where he's coming from but I'm just so over his excuses.

"I wanted you to call me so I could hear it from you that he's mine." Louis says. I bite my lip and mess with my necklaces to distract myself.
"And if I say he is?" I say. Louis sighs and I don't know if it's an annoyed sigh or a sigh of relief.
"Then I would ask to meet him and be in his life." Louis says.

I close my eyes and concentrate on the sound of Louis' breathing to not be somewhat annoyed.

"Dakota wouldn't just go with you on your own, he's got attachment issues and doesn't know you well enough for us to have a custody schedule." I say. Louis sighs again and this time I know it's an annoyed sigh.

"It doesn't need to happen right now, I get that he has a life. I just want to be apart of that. Maybe we could start small, I could come to the UK and meet him and maybe bring Freddie." Louis says. I glance at the door when it opens and Dakota is standing there. He rubs his eyes and walks over and climbs into my lap and rests his head against my chest.

"Would you be able to do that? I know Briana isn't exactly the easiest." I say. Louis just huffs and I hear a little boy talking in the background.
"We actually switched up the schedule recently. She's going through some stuff so Freddie is with me for the indefinite future. So I would be able to come with him if that's ok with you." Louis says. I hum and run my fingers through Dakota's curls.

"Ok I can text you a time I don't have a show. I think Dakota would enjoy time with Freddie." I say. Dakota is snoring in his sleep and I glance at the time and see that he fell asleep an hour earlier tonight, progress.
"Ok sounds good, I have to go make food. But text me dates and I'll make it happen. And thank you for letting this happen." Louis says.

"Yeah no problem." I say and then I hang up. I carefully stand up trying hard not to wake Dakota and then carry him to the bed and lay him down. I change out of my clothes and then lay in bed next to Dakota and pull him against me, and he snuggles closer to me and I turn the tv down so it won't wake him.

And I fall asleep to the sound of Dakota snoring away.

Louis flies in a two days later and Freddie says hi to me and gives Dakota a hug when we pick them up.

"I talked to Briana about being pregnant because I was scared and didn't know what to do and she became a close friend. The boys go to the same school." I say. Louis gapes at me and just sighs as he watches Dakota and Freddie run around the private section of the airport.

"So everyone knew but me?" Louis asks. I just shrug and he follows me towards the exit. Dakota comes running over and I pick him up and he starts talking about how Freddie has the coolest Batman shoes.

"Not everyone, I didn't know what I was doing and Briana knew what I was going through. The boys are only four months apart." I say. Louis just nods his head and picks Freddie up when we get to the door.

"Dakota this is Louis, you remember him from the movie?" I ask. Dakota nods and waves at Louis and then starts talking to Freddie.
"The movie?" Louis questions. Mark leads us to the car without being seen and then starts driving to the hotel.

"Yeah I showed him our movie, he's like best friends with Niall and Liam. He knows you are my friend. I haven't said anything else." I say. Louis nods and Mark asks if I want to stop for lunch and Dakota starts asking for McDonald's, which then gets Freddie going and Mark just laughs as he exits to go there.

"So he was born in May then? Has a birthday coming up?" Louis asks. I nod and hand Dakota my water bottle when I hear him start talking so fast he gets out of breath.
"Yeah May 12th." I say. Louis nods and then gives me a look.

"That's when you released your debut album." Louis says. I nod and just scratch the back of my head.
"Yeah it's a special day." I say. Louis nods and brushes Freddie's blonde hair out of his face.

"They could pass for twins practically, they're so similar." Louis says. I nod and Dakota hands me my water bottle back as he starts to squirm in his seat.
"Mark how far are we? Dakota has to pee." I say. Mark says five minutes and Dakota just puts his hands between his thighs and I turn to Louis.

"Freddie does the same thing, kind of funny they both do that." Louis says. I nod and once Mark parks the car I grab Dakota and head inside. I come back out and then Mark goes through the drive thru and Louis orders for himself and Freddie and Mark orders for me and Dakota.

"So how have you liked touring alone?" Louis asks. I shrug and hand him his drink and give Freddie his drink and he puts it into his cup holder. Dakota yawns when I hand him his happy meal and I know he's ready for a nap.

"I mean I'm not really alone, Dakota comes with me." I say. Louis nods and he blows on Freddie's chicken and then gives it to him.
"I have the next few days off after tonight. We're going to London." I say. Louis nods and takes a bite of his sandwich.

"Yeah I saw that. Am I on baby duty tonight then?" Louis asks. Both of the boys protest that they're not babies and Louis nods his head and apologizes.
"Yeah if Dakota lets you. I usually have to put a movie on and then leave while he's watching or else he freaks out." I say. Louis hums and eats some fries.

"Then this will be good for us both, he can get some time away from you and I can get to know him." Louis says. I nod and then turn to Dakota who is yawning still in between bites of food.

"He's not really an open book, he talks about the same three things and that's it so if you're planning to get a lot out of him it won't work." I say. Louis nods and just shrugs.
"I just want to get to know him some." Louis says. I nod and then sigh when I see Dakota asleep in his seat. I clean up his mess and grab a blanket from his bag and cover him up.

"Well after he's done napping we can catch up some, and I'll get ready for my show." I say. Louis nods his head in agreement and I just wipe Dakota's face again trying to get the fruit punch off his lips.

And I don't know if I'm more afraid that he'll love Louis immediately, or that he'll hate him.