6

Andrezj POV

6 months had passed but she never left my mind. I tried to forget about her but she was linked to that night. Every time I saw Antoni or Jakub I'd think about her. I kept replaying the events that led up to the attack and wondered if things would have been different if she was by my side. As much as I wanted to deny it I added fuel to a war that could have been avoided.

_________

Jakub fell to the ground with blood gushing from his stomach. He groaned out in pain and I felt my heart drop. Seeing him like that made me want to give up this lifestyle but one cannot just leave the mafia, especially when you're the one in charge. I was grateful when I saw him move and reach for his gun. Even when he was hit he wasn't out. He somehow found the strength to finish the job.

Once the coast was clear, Antoni and I lifted Jakub and started to rush towards my car. We had to get him into surgery right away. Due to how much he was bleeding I was certain the bullet was lodged deep inside. He started losing consciousness so we had to move quickly. I knew we could take him to St. George's Hospital and it was only 10 miles away. It was the closest hospital that we were affiliated with and could get treated without the feds getting involved.

In total 9 of our men were shot and so far 3 had serious injuries including Jakob, who at this point I thought was dead. He had stopped responding altogether and I couldn't feel a pulse. We finally made it to the door and as we struggled to get Jakub in we heard tires screeching. The Russians were back. All of our other men were back in the warehouse so Antoni and I had to defend ourselves. As soon as Jakub was secured inside I grabbed my gun and began firing out into the open. I didn't care who got hit. There was a brief moment of silence and I thought we got them all. As Antoni and I ran back to the Rover, I saw him suddenly limp forward. Now he was shot. The Russian car then sped off with one guy remaining. I know he'd be back but I needed to get both my brothers to help right away. The attacks seemed personal, they targeted them and my closest men but not me. They wanted me to feel the pain I caused them.

I rushed the two to the hospital, while my other men rushed with the others. Once we got there they were checked into a private section and were admitted into surgery right away.

I checked my phone and realized I had a missed call from my father.

This wasn't going to be good.

I called him back and he picked up on the first ring "come home, NOW" he said lowly and hung up. I knew what that meant.

I made my way back to the airport where the jet was waiting. I dreaded what was waiting for me back in Poland. My father never calls to do a quick check-in. When he called I knew I was in deeper issues than I could have imagined. I made some calls to get the bodies cleared out and to have extra men stationed at the warehouse. I doubt the Russians will be attacking again soon, we took out so many of their men it will take time for them to regroup. The only good thing that came from this is that the other gangs will think twice before they try to mess with us.

Once I reached Warsaw I headed straight to my father's house. The guards let me through the doors and I was greeted by father's fist. I swear I heard the bone in my nose break. The hits just kept coming one after another. I knew better than to fight back and just take them as they came.

"You are a disgrace" my father spat, "Now I know I made a big mistake handing down the mafia to you." He struck me again, this time over my right eye and I felt warm blood gushing down my face.

"You're a fucking psychopath, you went to Seattle for one day, and you created a massacre."

"Father, they were the ones who initiated it"

"Shut your mouth! you sound like a pathetic little bitch saying they initiated, from what I understand you weren't at the warehouse when the Russians showed up, now tell me what could be more important than seeing that everything went smoothly?"

"I had other business to take care of" I growled, wiping away blood from my now busted lips.

"Bullshit, you wanted to get your dick wet and in the end, you killed people that didn't need to die" he said looking at me with disgust.

"Father enough! Don't forget I am in charge now, not you, I can make my own decisions and now people will know that I don't hesitate to kill"

Father laughed, "you think you've gained power? You don't get power through killing, you gain it strategically. Let people know you're always a step ahead, you always have a plan. Don't go shooting everyone that comes in your way, it just shows that you are a coward. You better hope Jakub makes it out alive or else his blood will be on your hands and then yours will be on mine."

He must have not heard about Antoni being shot too. If he did our conversation wouldn't be going this well.

I didn't take his words lightly, Jakub was his firstborn and he would always have that love for him. I don't know why he's surprised at me being so coldhearted, that's the exact reason why I was chosen over Jakub to take over. I became my father once I was in the role and he hates what he was so he hates what I am.

.........

Over the next couple of days, I had been monitoring the situation from Warsaw. Jakub woke up a couple of hours after surgery and told me to stay here. It pained me not to be there for them but I assumed they were afraid that I would cause more havoc. I was unstable and needed some time to re-evaluate things, so I don't blame them for not wanting me there. He and Antoni were recovering well and would be coming back in a few days. None of my men died and I thanked God, I'm just happy that we outnumbered the Russians or else it would have been a different case.

I called Jakub again a few hours later just to update him on how things were going here. When he picked up I heard a familiar voice over the line.

"I'm just checking your blood pressure, you don't have to move"

My heart dropped, could it be her?

"Who's that?" I asked eagerly. How could I forget that angelic voice. I could feel my self getting aroused just thinking about her and how she calls my name.

"What are you talking about" Jakub laughed.

"The voice in the background, the woman, who is she?"

"The nurse obviously" I could sense the wide grin on his face as he spoke.

I rolled my eyes, "well does she have a name?"

"Oh yea I think it's Opal, nurse Opal, ona jest gorąca (she's hot) you'd definitely like her, and one more thing she's the same one you were obsessing over. Anyways gotta go bro, time for my sponge bath."

I couldn't believe it. This was definitely not a coincidence anymore. Even if I didn't want to pull her in she was already there. She was attending to my men and Jakub and I couldn't help myself wishing I was the one she was attending to but soon enough I hoped.

****

Here she was in my kitchen, making a sandwich oblivious to the fact that my eyes didn't leave her once she came downstairs. I had been sitting in my study, which is right across the kitchen when I heard footsteps pass by. I watched her every move as she searched the cabinets for a glass. It was the perfect opportunity to approach her and I'm glad I did. I already felt at ease with her being in my presence. She had to know that this wasn't a coincidence, it was meant to be. I just hope she'll accept me when she finds out who I am but regardless she will be mine one way or another.