Chapter Fourteen

~...safe and sound a steady place to let down my defences, but loving you had consequences...~

Corrine

Hot. Blazing hot. That was the only feeling that coursed through my flesh when I woke up. It tore through my every never of my body that I almost thought I was hallucinating it all. I didn't understand. I didn't get the source of the pain. Had I eaten something horrible that was causing my inside to shut down?

I groaned and shifted from my bed, trying to crawl out of it which seemed futile and impossible. Every muscle in my body burned with utter pain. I groaned and dragged my body out of the bed and falling down on the floor with a thud. What was happening?

"Aura, what's happening?" I asked her and got complete silence as my reply. My eyes scanned 'my' room and my eyes stare at the huge clock patched on the wall. It stated 4.30am. Thirty minutes before my kitchen duties.

With so much energy, I crawled over to the wall, the movements straining every muscle of my body and sending spasms of pain down my back. I groaned and clutched the wall but my hand kept slipping and I almost plummet to the cool floor.

With no warning, a sharp pain run through my back and without my knowledge a loud squeal escaped my lips. The same pain shot through my back again and I slid back onto the floor, tears finally gathering in my eyes.

"Aura, what's wrong! What's happening to me?"  I called and like the previous time, got nothing in reply.

A sharper pain ran down my back and a louder scream escaped my lips, the pain twice what it was in the past. The pain growing each and every time. I screamed again, the pain running through my back, leaving me both breathless and tired.

"Corrine, what's wrong?" I vaguely heard Genesis' voice call out to me before the once locked door burst open and he stormed in, his footsteps quick and worried.

"I... don't know." I groaned. A sheen of sweat had formed on my face, and I was on the verge of passing out.

"What do you mean your don't know? What about your wolf?" His voice portrayed the worry that he was feeling.

"She's not responding, idiot." I hissed as I rolled into my back, my eyes glaring at the ceiling of the room. I clutched my stomach and a painful groan left my lips.

"Wait... When was the last time you shifted?" He asked.

"What does this have to do with anything?" I glared, trying to hold my shuddering body together.

"Even I know as a wolf, you need to shift frequently or your wolf will force the shift upon you. Didn't you know that?" He asked bewildered, his silver eyes widened.

I did not know that.

"You didn't, did you?" He stated, realization evident in his voice.

I had never really thought that shifting paid an important role in my life because I shifted frequently in my pack. I had the time and I loved the thrill of running in my wolf form, I loved how warm and relaxing it felt. I never knew it was that important.

"Just let the shift happen Corrine or you'll be in more pain." He exclaimed.

I knew it would happen though, whether I was willing or not.