Chapter Twelve

~Say you won't let go~

Corrine.

I woke up with a start, my heart beating so rapidly against my chest, that I thought I was going to have a panic attack. My mind couldn't recall what had caused this sudden feeling. I could feel the pumping of my heart, it's thrumming hitting against my chest, in an unsteady rhythm. Then like a flicker of light, the memories came back, surfacing and a sob leaves my lips.

My mother. The woman who for some time had faded in my memory. The woman whom I had loved even though never really reciprocated the feelings back. The woman whom rejection had scarred and left her a shell. The woman who had been ripped away from me like unimportant person.

I felt my wolf whine, pain, and sorrow thoroughly evident and I couldn't even console her. She had never really loved me, she had never been what I expected of a mother yet, I wouldn't want it any other way. A feeling of utter disgust courses through me at the thought of those bloody vampires that killed her. And I was actually mated to one. How can life be that cruel.

With determination, I push the memory away knowing fully well that there's nothing I can actually do to change all of those things. I couldn't bring my mother back nor change who my mate is. I push the duvet off me and made a rush to the shower. I pull on a dark sweat shirt and dark skinny jeans and exited the room.

I nearly get a min heart attack when I find a half naked Ethan sitting by the counter, eating goddess knows what. I glance up at the clock and my eyes furrow further. I am usually the one to rise up early. After that first time he had woken me up, he had stopped and would wake up late.

"Ethan, what's wrong with you? Are you trying to kill me before my time?" I glared at his back that was turned to me. He jumps so high that I almost burst out laughing.

"Sunshine, are you trying to kill me before my time?" I cringe. He turns to me holding a bag of skittles.

"Seriously? Skittles at this time? Are you insane?" I question with a raised brow.

"I love skittles, who doesn't?" He mutters, scooping a handful of the colored candy and shoving them into his mouth and I nearly gag.

"Why are you up anyway?" I asked, perplexed.

"I was craving Skittles, so why not satisfy my craving?" He smiled widely and I just walk away weirded out and slightly creeped out. Ignoring him, I begin to prepare breakfast. After a while, this duty had become so normal for me. Maybe because it destructed me enough not to think about how my life was crumbling or because I was actually good at it.

"What are you thinking about?" Ethan's smooth voice flows through my ear and the pan I was holding slips through my hand and hits the floor. I cringe at the noise and I bite my lip to stop myself from cussing him.

"What is your actual problem!? Who actually does that!?" I whispered yelled as I stared at a guilty Ethan who was rubbing the back of his neck in embarrassment.

"Sorry," he whispered.

"Yeah you should be, and go put on a shirt! Seriously? Are you expecting me to fall for you like in those cheesy novels where the girl falls for the half naked guy!?" I muttered bitterly taking part of my anger out on him.

"I'm sorry, sunshine," he murmured again, guilt sipping through his words. He turns and leaves the kitchen, his speed almost to quick for my human eye. I kind of felt guilty because he had been nothing but kind and nice to me and here I was hurting his feelings. I, however, did not have time to deal with that. I picked the pan and went back to preparing breakfast.